Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Which books should I get by Tom McEvoy and Ken Warren, if any?

Sorry. You forgot the most important thing:

You have AK and it missed the flop? Check. What if he bets? Fold. I find it very very hard to believe that Cloutier doesn't make continuation bets.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:28 PM

Nice summary on Championship PL/NL Hold 'em. I recall there is also a practice hand where you're given AK and the flop comes AQ7 (there was a raise and reraise preflop). An opponent bets, Cloutier says to fold because it's a sure thing you're up against AQ, AA, QQ, AK or 77. I'm not an NL expert, more of a limit player, but it seems to me that if you're going to play this way, you should stay away from NL Hold 'Em.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:27 AM

not sure which book it was...but there was some bit somewhere where he argues that the 5th flush card 'feels' like it is more likely to come if he has 2 in his hand and there are 2 on the board (as opposed to 1 in his hand and 3 on the board).

whether he knows this is true or not is immaterial. Even SAYING something like this is just plain bad.

Whether it is more difficult to extract out of your opponents by hitting a '1 hole-card' flush is also immaterial (even though it's usually true) because he was merely talking about the chances of making your flush based on how many of those cards were in your hand or on the board.

I only read through this part in the book-store paging through it (or maybe somebody mentioned it here on the forums) but I think THIS is the most important lesson to take from his book.
Limping and check-folding with AK is a close second though.

----------------

Obviously the number of bracelets that they have is irrelevant too.
Bad advice is bad advice no matter how many bracelets you have.
If Phil Ivey wrote a book telling you to always push all-in with 72o in an effort to 'try to catch them offguard' would you just say "well...he's got some WSOP bracelets...so I guess I should do that."??
No - you would say "has Ivey lost his mind?? That advice is terrible.

Cloutier, McEvoy and Hellmuth all have a handful of bracelets...but when it comes to writing worthwhile poker advice they have all VERY CLEARLY done a pretty lousy job.
Their books are riddled with TERRIBLE poker ideas.