Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: I finally (sort of) understand was Fimbulwinter was talking about.

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is just spewing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-04-2005, 10:50 AM

If your read is accurate, I like your play on all streets. In particular, I like the preflop raise. But that's just because I'm LAG. :-)
Old 12-04-2005, 10:53 AM

players are getting better. we need to adjust strategy.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:55 AM

I like this hand too. Nicely played.

Reading the responses, it's almost like people did read what the OP said about his opponent. It's great to outplay bad players, but it's even better to outplay good players. That's how people move up.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:38 AM

What about this little move? I've 60 hands on villian (bailbreak) and he seems solid, and he should have the same idea about me as I rarely get involved in pot without good hands.

Hero is Harmonica 77 with about $40, viliand has $35 ish.

Seat 1: cunzio
Seat 2: TX HoldThese
Seat 3: tg313
Seat 4: A_A_wired__
Seat 6: bailbeak
Seat 7: guitarjunkie
Seat 8: SolTiger
Seat 9: Harm0nica 77 [ A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Seat 10: middleearthm
ANTES/BLINDS
cunzio posts blind ($0.25), TX HoldThese posts blind ($0.25).

PRE-FLOP
tg313 folds, A_A_wired__ folds, bailbeak bets $0.90, guitarjunkie calls $0.90, SolTiger folds, Harm0nica 77 calls $0.90, middleearthm folds, cunzio folds, TX HoldThese calls $0.65.

FLOP pot is $4[board cards 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
TX HoldThese bets $0.25, bailbeak bets $4, guitarjunkie folds, Harm0nica 77 calls $4, TX HoldThese folds.

TURN [board cards 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
bailbeak bets $10, Harm0nica 77 bets $30, bailbeak folds.

SHOWDOWN
Harm0nica 77 wins $51.60.

Villian commented on his AA being no good when thinking about calling or folding [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2005, 11:58 AM

At first at liked it because I'm so used to the 100s that I thought the stacks were deeper. with deeper stacks it's much more scary for villain to continue on this bord. In this situation villain has almost committed himself on the turn, and I'm almost a little surprized he didn't call as JT is the only draw that is completed on the turn and it's only a PSB to him...

I think I would have called here, but you seem to be on with your read so nh. You are also representing QJ here, and maybe a slowplayed set, but villain should suspect that you as a solid player wouldn't slowplay on that bord.. anyway nh
Old 12-04-2005, 12:00 PM

I am not saying my play is brilliant. I am just wondering why the people saying this is a terrible play haven't acknowledged that:

1) We are sitting on 200bb stacks
2) He most likely doesn't have a flush
3) I only need him to fold a better hand 50% of the time to make this +EV.
4) I can easily fold to a push.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:16 PM

WFIW I would only take this line WITH a flush.. but then again, many others will not [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think the point here is that your move is purely a bluff in a reasonably big pot, and at this level contemplating moves is not part of a winning plan. If this was at the 200s against a player who could lay down hands I like it, but you should make sure you don't pull them too often without the goods.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) We are sitting on 200bb stacks

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay?

[ QUOTE ]
2) He most likely doesn't have a flush

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't only need a flush to call here, though. And him having a flush redraw that he'll stick around for seems very plausible.

[ QUOTE ]
3) I only need him to fold a better hand 50% of the time to make this +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suck at odds so I'll take your word on this, but half of the time seems like it's pushing it at these limits.

[ QUOTE ]
4) I can easily fold to a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be more worried about getting a call, bluffing river big, then getting another call. A push in this spot is most likely a lot better than a call. I think you end up getting trapped by a stubborn pair here more often than not.

And you having a very aggressive image and have been bluffing, etc doesn't really help you here. As I understand it, when it looks like you're playing a bunch of pots and raising lots of people out of them, people start to get curious and look you up.. that's when you play them for fools and showdown the nuts.

If you had been a super tight player, showing down a winning hand once or twice in this session, I might like this hand a little more.. but still, it's $50 NL, why would they notice?
Old 12-04-2005, 01:22 PM

I think this kind of thing is dumb any way you look at it. You have now put 30 bucks into a pot with middle pair 9 kicker.

The point of raising on the button when it is folded around to you is to steal the money in there or take the pot if no one hits. Most of the time people fold or no one hits and you take the pot. This makes the raise +EV. The point is not to get involved with huge pots and a crap hand. You might have gotten away with it this time, but this play is bad in the long run.

Lastly, abuse of the button has gotten so common that no one ever believes you. Not so much on Party but on some of the other sites the button is abused to the point that it is more profitable to wait until you have a real hand because no one will believe you and will pay you off.