Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Argueing with the floor about time collection

Easy fix here--- take the time charge out of the first pot that sees a flop------
In the bigger games at the Bellagio this is what we do and have had no problems
Old 10-06-2005, 09:55 PM

It would seem to me that taking a $70 time charge out of a $10/$20 pot might be a bit much and can kill the action.

If you have a hand with a raise and a call (both blinds fold) pot is $55, flop comes bet and call pot is $75. Turn comes bet and call pot is $115. River comes bet and call pot is $155. Minus $70 time charge winner gets $85. Winner put $70 into that pot net win $15.

Time pots are fine, but this may be too much for this size game.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:23 PM

Hey SA, I just want to point out that the behavior of the floor and the two regulars makes it pretty clear that you were right.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:24 PM

If it wasn't obvious why did the floor and the players relent so easily?
Old 10-06-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This post...

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...c=#Post3596663

[/ QUOTE ]

use the url tag next time so you dont fuddle up the thread, you friggin' newbie

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 10:44 PM

The 10-20 time charge would be $50 total (5 per player per half). Typically, smaller games using timepots don't take it all from one pot (actually, neither do the 40-80 games at Borgata). In the 10-20 example sited, it will typically be 25 on the first pot of 100 or more and then 25 on the second pot that size. In the 80 game (10 per half per player), it's typically 100 on 800.

Jeff
Old 10-06-2005, 10:48 PM

Preliminarily, I'd probably have kept my mouth shut.

However, I've got to say that there are a lot of problems with time collection at the Borgata 20-40 game. This stems principally from the need to make change for players without white chips. Sometimes the players start scooping other people's time to speed things up, and things get screwed up. Other times dealers don't collect (or make change) in order, and they can't figure out who they missed when they are $7 short. The Borgata really should tell dealers to collect and make change in a set order around the table.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Think about this. Lets say you are at the movie ticket line, and just before you pay for the ticket, you hear a patron next to you claim that he lost his ticket for the movie, and wants to get in because he already paid. The manager is brought over, and they agree that its ok for him to get in for free.
How do you respond? Do you explain to the manager that you are a much more loyal customer than the patron in question, or do you demand "equal treatment" and then proclaim that everyone should get in for free?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you pay time? If you do, I have no idea how you could possibly think this is even slightly close to an accurate analogy.

Paying for the right to compete and gamble for pots is something entirely different from what you described.

sfer hit the nail on the head in one of his responses. As soon as I objected, the floor pointed out who was short. Those two guys immediately put up their time and didn't say boo. What does that tell you?

When you're paying 75-150 a day in time more than a few days a week, not including tips, the issue of fairness seems simple to me.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:53 PM

And those are certainly workable ways of doing it. Of course the original poster told us that the time charge is $7 per half so thats why I used that figure. Sure you can use systems to pay the time out of multiple pots but quite honestly is that really eaiser than just having each player pay the time on the dealer change.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:56 PM

Time pots are common and are always done in 2 pots. $20-40 is a time pot over $200. 10 players at $70 is first 2 pots over $200 pay $35 each to whoever put up the time. I'm always in on time pots. I find it funny how many guys you can play $20-40 with who don't know what a chop or time pot is.