Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: So I just lost 30K......

Your accountant is wrong. If you expect to owe more than $1000 on April 15, you will be penalized for not filing quarterly (there is a sort of grace period but consult your accountant on this). Anyway, anyone w/ non-W2 income that expects to owe more than a grand must file quarterly-otherwise, you're taking an interest free loan from the IRS.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2005, 10:42 PM

How am I supposed to estimate quarterly payments when the variance is so high? For example, this quarter I am down. Secondly, I won pretty much all my money in the 3rd quarter. I never knew I would be making this kind of money back in March or April...
Old 11-14-2005, 11:35 PM

well I'm kind of in the situation you are in. I got really bored of playing poker and didn't need the money. Well when I got bored I bet and lost a large amount betting sports and playing stupid games like no bust blackjack, pai gow etc in the pits here in LA.

Building back a bankroll was fairly easy. I too started back at the 400 NL and 5/10 limit. Though I would play any game that was good from NL200 to NL1000 and 5/10 to 20/40 limit. I actually played less hours because I'm already bored but my game selection was much better.

8k is plenty and the few hands that I have with you, on almost all the big pots you got the money in ahead.

good luck though
Old 11-14-2005, 11:57 PM

Brief Suggestions Please
Old 11-15-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm just curious, have you always played within your br?

Or did you play on a short br at low limits so you could move up quicker?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere here that's how you did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have always had at least 10-15 buyins for low limit. I moved up to 10/20 while still playing some 5/10. I had about 15 buyins (still short of optimal), but I quickly was bankrolled correctly when I started beating the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I was asking BICYCLEKICK.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have always had at least 10-15 buyins for low limit. I moved up to 10/20 while still playing some 5/10. I had about 15 buyins (still short of optimal), but I quickly was bankrolled correctly when I started beating the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I was asking BICYCLEKICK.

[/ QUOTE ]

just because it worked for him doesnt mean its the right thing to do. BK definitely plays within his bankroll now though.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:52 AM

hi jonny.
playing the party 2k SH games w/ a 40k roll is laughable.
you need way more...
these swings u describe mean nothing... dont get too proud of winning 30k and dont be devestated by losing 30k, its not that big a deal.

obviously, you arent ready to play this high.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I played 10K hands in August, made $30K, 10K hands in Sep., made $28K, before that I was at 1000NL and made $15K in a month there. So yes, I know what I am doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait wait so you've played 30k hands and that means you know what you're doing? That definately shows a gross misunderstanding of the game.

I'm sure now you'll think I'm being harsh but I'd bet you anything that if you continue playing and come back in a year or two you'll understand where I'm coming from.

You're not ready for anything close to 2k nl. Not the 1k's either. You might have ok hand skills but your poker maturity isn't there. Play a lot lower.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Play within your bankroll. Be willing to move down.

Just cause you had some temporary success doesn't mean you should be playing that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't when I first started. I got a free 50 bucks and played a lot of .25/.50 and .5/1. I had no idea about bankrolls and all of that and I was just as foolish as this guy. I did play 2/4 and 3/6 for a couple months and blew back most of what I'd made (all the way down to +700) so at that point yes, I did play within my bankroll by dropping to .5/1.

Either way, this guy shouldn't feel bad because nobody has a clue when they start out, it's just he needs to understand that he really is in fact, pretty clueless with regaurds to poker.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Play within your bankroll. Be willing to move down.

Just cause you had some temporary success doesn't mean you should be playing that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't when I first started. I got a free 50 bucks and played a lot of .25/.50 and .5/1. I had no idea about bankrolls and all of that and I was just as foolish as this guy. I did play 2/4 and 3/6 for a couple months and blew back most of what I'd made (all the way down to +700) so at that point yes, I did play within my bankroll by dropping to .5/1.

Either way, this guy shouldn't feel bad because nobody has a clue when they start out, it's just he needs to understand that he really is in fact, pretty clueless with regaurds to poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I understand your last point, I wasn't trying to throw that back in your face or anything.

I think there is a big difference between playing outside your br at .5/1-2/4 limit and 1K and 2K NL. If you go bust at .5/1 it takes about a week of minimum wage pay to get back on your feet.