Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Moving to 3/6 (low content)

I would rather drink ammonia than play Texas Hold 'Em with a 13% VPIP.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, thats why we play 28 tables!
Old 05-30-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I started playing poker just after I gave up my attempts becomming a professional ammonia drinker. There's just no money in there.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I started playing poker just after I gave up my attempts becomming a professional ammonia drinker. There's just no money in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. The rake on ammonia drinking tourneys is horrendous.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:27 PM

How much 2/4 did you play before moving up? And what was your winrate there before moving?
Old 05-30-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much 2/4 did you play before moving up? And what was your winrate there before moving?

[/ QUOTE ]
I probably played ~40k hands. But I played more 1/2 before moving to 2/4. My winrate while 4-tabling was ~2.6 BB/100 and ~2 BB/100 while 6-tabling. But I felt I lost intrest in the game when reaching ~30000 hands. My winrate dropped because of that. I needed a challenge and now I'm feeling motivated when playing 3/6 and having set a goal to move up even more. Poker have never been more fun!

Are you planning to move up to 3/6?
Old 05-30-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you planning to move up to 3/6?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, eventually. But I have only played 12K hands on 2/4 and with a recent 100BB downswing I'm down to a measly 0.66BB/100 winrate. So it will likely take a while before I feel confident enough to move up.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, eventually. But I have only played 12K hands on 2/4 and with a recent 100BB downswing I'm down to a measly 0.66BB/100 winrate. So it will likely take a while before I feel confident enough to move up.

[/ QUOTE ]
The games are pretty soft so you have nothing to fear. Just make sure your table selection is good. I'm going to purchase Playerview and maybe also Poker Edge for that matter.

You need to feel confident to move up, but don't let your confidence slow you down too much, as in my case [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2005, 06:30 PM

I have two kinds of thoughts when it comes to table selection.
a. It's good to find a good table.
b. It's not really that good to find a good table.

a is short term and b is long term. I'm having trouble deciding which is really the best. I mean, finding a good loose table will give you better profit, but playing against tougher opponents force you to improve your game. So finding a tougher table gives better practice but still keeps the stakes lower than moving up. Cheaper learning that way.

I usually search for my favorite "buddies" and sit at their tables if they are playing, but otherwise I usually just take a seat at the first available table with one seat open.

What are your thoughts on that?
Old 05-30-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are your thoughts on that?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think playing the better opponents at a low limit is way overrated. I prefer making money and move up in limits at the same time. If you study you improve your game faster by playing worse opponents, since you'll be able to give higher limits a shot faster (my mistake has been to stay to long at low limits...) That improves your game at least as much as playing the better of the players at low limits and you'll make more money doing while getting better. Being able to move up also increases your confidence. And the differance between table select and not table select in earned $ is huge!

When playing 3/6 (and 2/4 too for that matter) you're forced to play good opponents as well. There are no tables with only donks (at least they're very rare). You'll have to live with playing 3-4 TAGs/table at 3/6 since there are also 3-4 donks at the table. By playing some hands against the TAGs you'll improve your game against good players, but at the same time you're benefiting from playing 4 donks. They pay for your education I guess you could say. It would be stupid to choose a table with only TAGs just to improve your game when you could make a lot of money and improve your game at the same time.