Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Don\'t think I can beat 1/2.

The trouble with the gold analogy is that in golf, you can fix a problem and see an immediate result. Poker is not the same.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Currently I need to tame my overagression. I really struggled getting to where I even could play agressive. Now I am overboard and I need to dial it back a little. Which means folding more, because my VP$IP is skirting the top of the sanity range.

GL bro.

-D

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, if you haven't read Middle Limit Holdem Poker buy it and read it. It's the perfect balancing act to SSHE. You won't agree with half of the examples at first (and they have a LOT of example hands) but after a while you start to see the merit in some of them. Not all, but some. It gives your brain a good workout.

The middle limits they're talking about are B&M 10/20 through 30/60 but from the examples they give 10/20 is pretty much like a Party 1/2 game and so forth.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Yes you can beat 1/2

[ QUOTE ]

I apologize for whining on the boards. I'll figure out what I'm doing wrong and keep working at it. As long as I move down when I feel my bankroll is threatened by the stakes, I can probably keep playing poker for a long time to come. But I'd like to get to a point where I feel I'm doing well due to my knowledge and ability and not to the whims of luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why do you keep doing things you know are wrong? Or are you still learning what is right and wrong? What's the level of mistakes that you feel you are making?

I don't play perfect poker. I fold, and then look back at the odds and see I could have called. Or I peel one off knowing I don't have odds, but I'm not really convinced the villain really has anything. I used to think everyone who was betting was bluffing, but I've come to realize they usually aren't (with some exceptions).

First shot at 1/2 I made was well-rolled, but I quickly went down about 100BB so I moved back down to .5/1. Second one I was under-rolled and had no business being there, so I went back down to .5/1 (and still almost busted out). I was well-rolled again, and actually had about a 100BB downturn at .5/1 so I figured that I might as well come out of the downturn making twice the money, and I moved up.

I'm playing the exact same poker I was playing at .5/1, and so far I've been doing pretty well. I'm actually very close to being bankrolled for 2/4, but I have a lot more to learn at 1/2, I think.

One thing I've used as a confidence booster in the past is www.pokergrader.com. I have no clue how accurate it is, or what kind of criteria it uses, but I love putting my hand histories in there and seeing that I made more than it said was probable... or it telling me how many times the worst card possible fell, when I had a bad night. It isn't always right, but it can be fun.

KO
Old 08-01-2005, 06:15 AM

Hi. This is my first post, and it isn't a very bright one. Where du you find the curve-option in PT?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Currently I need to tame my overagression. I really struggled getting to where I even could play agressive. Now I am overboard and I need to dial it back a little. Which means folding more, because my VP$IP is skirting the top of the sanity range.

GL bro.

-D

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, if you haven't read Middle Limit Holdem Poker buy it and read it. It's the perfect balancing act to SSHE. You won't agree with half of the examples at first (and they have a LOT of example hands) but after a while you start to see the merit in some of them. Not all, but some. It gives your brain a good workout.

The middle limits they're talking about are B&M 10/20 through 30/60 but from the examples they give 10/20 is pretty much like a Party 1/2 game and so forth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tip. Between that and someone telling me I have developed reliable and detectable tells online(!) I hope to be back in the upward trend soon.

[ QUOTE ]
The trouble with the golf analogy is that in golf, you can fix a problem and see an immediate result. Poker is not the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

No analogy is perfect. In my analogy, you started doing something better, but got worse results cause something else go out of whack. Golf, bowling, tennis, what have you have the same kind of patterns when you focus on one part of your game. Poker does have some stats that converge fast. Watch your VP$IP/PFR anad WSD% for example.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi. This is my first post, and it isn't a very bright one. Where du you find the curve-option in PT?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the graph? It's a seperate program. Poker Grapher. Works with poker tracker. Hard to find the download, but not too hard. Poke around google a little.

[ QUOTE ]
Poker grader makes me feel better

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too usually.

-D