Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Dealing with Downswings (Long/Ramble)

I've been playing online poker for a little over 3 months and have managed to turn a $75 gift certificate into a little over $1400 playing mostly ABC poker at 25NL at Party and 50NL at the Crypto's, clearing easy bonuses. Tonight, I had my biggest downswing so far, around $50. I know these downswings are an inherent part of poker, but it always bothers me emotionally.

Tonight I was playing on a PL25 table at party, with three maniacs whose VP$IP's were well over 85% over 120 hands or so. All their stacks were very deep too, 2 of them were over $100 for at least an hour, playing every single hand. I knew the tables were +EV, so I stuck around, but I found that my big pairs that I'd been waiting on were constantly being outflopped, ruining my stack. I'm still playing, and just took a new maniac's stack, but am still in the hole for the night $28.

I find it hard to take breaks when I've just lost a big pot to a fool, and while I don't tilt, it just doesn't feel right. I know most of you who are reading this are thinking, "what a n00b", but I'm looking for some advice as to what to do during these short downswings. I'm not even sure what I'm asking, maybe just some advice from those who've been here before. Because I've been playing for so short a time, maybe I should quit focusing so much on the money and just worry about getting my hands in and fixing my leaks.

I'm currently finishing up TOP and have learned a good deal from it, is there any other reading for the level I'm at right now?