Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: learning to lay down hands: hand #1

You have to call this river, or reraise the turn - anything other than fold!
Old 07-29-2005, 01:10 PM

Based on your post, I think it's much more likely that your biggest leak is getting bluffed out of pots when you have a marginal hand on the turn or river and your opponent has nothing. Here is a link to a post I just made on another thread with a similar topic.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...;o=14&vc=1

For what it's worth, I think in the situation you describe, you have a clear call with pocket sixes, let alone King-Jack.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my biggest leak is not letting go of marginal/good hands when heads-up on the turn or river... i've been trying to resolve the problem, so tell me what you think of this

20-40 at hollywood park..

3 limpers, i raise KJc on button. Sb reraises. all the limpers call. I call.

Read on sb is that he totally overvalues his pocketpairs. He had raised utg w/ 22, and in another hand he reraised my utg raise w/ 44, raised my bet on a 976 flop and bet the whole way (i had tt).

anyways, the flop is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]k [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

sb checks. and they all check to me. i bet. sb calls. the rest fold.

turn is k [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

sb checks. i bet. he raises. at this point, i'm almost postive he flopped a set. i call w/ odds to fill up.

river is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

he bets, i show a king and fold... he shows a 3.

weak fold? saved a bet? i'm a moron?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely weak fold. You certainly saved a bet.. but you may have lost 14BB's as a result of your laydown. When you talk of marginal laydowns and needing to learn how to make more of them... I don't think 3 K's with a pretty good kicker is a marginal hand.

It certainly is a big enough hand to take to showdown... you have too much hand to make that laydown. You need to invest the 1 BB and see if your read is indeed correct.

My question to you is if another K doesnt come on the turn would you lay down against a checkraise? I think these situations are the type of marginal places that you are actually talking about!! Let me know what you think about that. I just don't see 3 of kind being a marginal holding in a limit game. Marginal holdings to me are one pair type hands that you are calling raises with on the turn and river.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:41 PM

Did you enjoy your fruit plate?

furcoat dilemma
Old 07-29-2005, 03:33 PM

The interesting part is his pre-flop raise of course since he showed you a trey. There are not many hands left that one can raise from SB with limpers and a raiser that include a trey. A-3s maybe hoping to eliminate the limpers to get heads up with you. It is actually not that easy to put him on a hand that is not 3-3.

I have edited this 20 times now, and the longer I think about it, the better that laydown looks to me despite the pot-odds. /shrug
Old 07-29-2005, 06:53 PM

someone agrees (sorta?).. lol
Old 07-29-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my biggest leak...

[/ QUOTE ]

Without reading any farther, I predict that posters will come out of the woodwork to show you how insightful they are that they know this isn't your biggest leak. I'll post this and then start counting...

-Eric
Old 07-29-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Results

Hmmm, not as clear a win for me as I expected. Two players told you this isn't your biggest leak, I was hoping for more like five. Five players just called you a moron, I'm not sure how to tally those.

All told, my prediction for this thread showed some strength, but could have been better.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Comments

Now that I've actually read the post, I see that you button-hooked me by posting an absurd fold and then asking if you were a moron, thus drawing away many of my expected "this isn't your biggest leak" votes and causing "you're a moron" to win in a landslide. No fair.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Comments

[ QUOTE ]
Now that I've actually read the post, I see that you button-hooked me by posting an absurd fold and then asking if you were a moron, thus drawing away many of my expected "this isn't your biggest leak" votes and causing "you're a moron" to win in a landslide. No fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol