Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Re: How playable is 5/10 full?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I disagree. 2-3 good tables every night. You just have to find then and reconsider what "good" means.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last week during my foray into 5/10 I was very picky with table selection. Most pots on most tables were two or three handed and I just stole the blinds a lot. Play was aggressive (although it was often retarded aggression) and limping was asking to be isolated. Fish with VPIPs > 40 were extremely rare; 3-bet reisolation of these players wasn't uncommon. How is this good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play in games where one very bad player and one normally bad player can make the game good. Or, three normally bad players make the game good. By very bad I mean 40+ VPIP, by normally bad I mean 30-35 VPIP.

A couple of months ago, before Party opened up more than 5 30/60 tables, I talked Tha' JBB into playing a table of 15/30 with me. He said the game sucked. I thought it was very good. There were two donkeys and most flops were HU or 3-ways with one or both of the donks. He is/was spoiled by the 10/20 6-max.

They by-the-numbers "good" players still make postflop mistakes. Lots of them. Look at the donkeys who hang out only in the Zoo jumping from bonus to bonus. When I was playing 3/6 and I recognized one of their names I would salivate. They are/were weak tight pussies and I would pound them.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play in games where one very bad player and one normally bad player can make the game good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:57 AM

A good table is often one with a single donator. That donator is the catalyst for softening up a table and putting the players in more situations to apply their skills.

You learn new skills like how to play a small pocket pair OOP gainst an aggressor. You might even find yourself limping in MP with such a hand begging to get raised from a player behind you who don't play too goot.

The games 3/6 and below as just so super-soft it's easy to get spoiled.

I think the real problem with 5/10 is that the degree of hardening up of the tables is not balanced by the jump in stakes. I.e. people would rather play 3/6 for 2BB/100 without thinking much and therefore playing more tables than 5/10 for 1BB/100 and having the start thinking more about hands.

Can't say I blame them either (I'm in this group).

- Jim
Old 08-16-2005, 11:06 AM

Play some 5/10 at Tiger Action Gaming. Then Party will look like the freakin' promise land.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:11 AM

So would you guys recommend 5/10 6 max over 5/10 full, Planning on making the the jump from 3/6 at the first of the month, unless disaster occurs.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So would you guys recommend 5/10 6 max over 5/10 full, Planning on making the the jump from 3/6 at the first of the month, unless disaster occurs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would reccomend doing both.

I do not intend to play 5/10 6-max exclusively, but by the time I am done with my stint at 5/10 Full, I will probably have worked in around 14,000 6-max games. And probably another 3,000-4000 hands at fullk tables that go short.

So that is how I am getting my short-handed experience. By playing 6-max once or twice a week and playing short at full tables that break up.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:17 AM

party 5/10 is my home right now, and I kind of agree with most of what has been said. Like Jason T said, the games aren't "good", in the sense of the typical party low limit games are good, but they are beatable. And, like Sfer said, just 1 or 2 semi-donks can make the table good enough...and put those bad players on your right, and you have a very profitable situation.

The swings are gonna be pretty big, simply b/c your edge isn't as big in this game as 3/6 or 2/4 (at least mine isn't), but play 5/10 full for a while, grind out 1-2BB/100 hands and then go play some 3/6 full again. You will find that game to be super soft. I think playing there has definitely helped my game.

--Rico
Old 08-16-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Screw 5/10. Stay at 3/6 until you have the roll for 15/30

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no comparision between these two games, so really no one can make that jump directly. If you can't beat the 5/10 you're not going to beat the higher limits.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

They by-the-numbers "good" players still make postflop mistakes. Lots of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I agree with.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:36 AM

Read these three pieces of wisdom(The first is by sthief, the next two are by sfer), print them out and then post them on your refrigerator so you don't forget them:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Screw 5/10. Stay at 3/6 until you have the roll for 15/30.

[/ QUOTE ]

most people can't handle that move. if you can, you're the exception to the rule. that is a big jump

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't beat 5/10 full on Party you're not going to beat 15/30 full on Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I play in games where one very bad player and one normally bad player can make the game good. Or, three normally bad players make the game good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gone are the days when mediocre players could waltz into the Party 15/30 and ride 4-way pots to a $200+/hr. The games are much tougher than they were a few months ago(before the expansion of the 30/60 and the opening of the 20/40). To succeed in these games, you have to play well in HU and 3-way pots and you must have superlative emotional control. You will be sorely tested by tricky, aggressive players and vicious downswings.