Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: this one came up at dinner...

[ QUOTE ]
is hating someone solely due to their religion "just as bad as" being racist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not. You choose you religion. Hell, you could describe the Nazi Party as a religion rather than political party if you want.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:15 PM

doug,

[ QUOTE ]
But the blind hatred of someone becuase of thier religion, which is what i think you are refering to…

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly what he is asking. I should say, that is how the question is posed.

RJT
Old 11-18-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there's a difference.

If there's a religion that, let's take something extreme, demands of it's followers to slowly torture little girls of not older then 7 to death I don't see any problem with saying that I hate all of their followers based on the fact that they are members of that religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an interesting example, but it also depends on if they're practicing members or not. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
doug,

[ QUOTE ]
But the blind hatred of someone becuase of thier religion, which is what i think you are refering to…

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly what he is asking. I should say, that is how the question is posed.

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah I wasn't sure what the OP was asking exactly so I fummbled around it a bit. At least one of my statements answered the question.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
doug,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]
I can see I may have missed the point of the OP but if the question is which sort of blind hatred is worse then I am at a bit of a loss as to how the conversation lasted long enough for anyone to notice it was happening.

I gather you realise that is not the question I was answering?

chez
Old 11-18-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
doug,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]
I can see I may have missed the point of the OP but if the question is which sort of blind hatred is worse then I am at a bit of a loss as to how the conversation lasted long enough for anyone to notice it was happening.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

chez,

Sure did, buddy. That is why I threw in my little humor about then my answer is: purple. I figured if you were going to answer a question that wasn't asked, then I would too.

RJT
Old 11-18-2005, 04:50 PM

I disagree here. I think people are getting their emotions in the way of the original question. Is hating someone because of their belief 'just as bad' as hating them because of their race.

Ofcourse it isn't. Hating someone because of their belief is logically justifiable, because they may support something you hate.

Hating someone because of their race is not logically justifiable because you will have to generalize presumes traits of that race onto the individual which may be wrong, even if statistics would tell you that this trait is common in that race.

Now...if you hate someone because of traits you presume they have because of their belief...then you are in effect doing the exact same thinking as a racist, and hence you are thinking illogically, even if statistics told you a majority of these believers possessed that trait.

That is also why racism and religious hatred often go hand in hand, because them stem from the same way of thinking.

However, if you quickly think of 10 hated persons from history, you will almost unvariably find that they are generally hated because of 1.) Their belief and 2.) Their tendency to act on it.

You will find few individuals who are hated because of their race.

Hatred due to an object's belief is very human.

And what a person belief consists of is totally irrelevant to the question asked.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
doug,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

chez,

Sure did, buddy. That is why I threw in my little humor about then my answer is: purple. I figured if you were going to answer a question that wasn't asked, then I would too.

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]
I only said may have missed the point ...

I like my question more [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

chez
Old 11-18-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's pretty clear that the point of this thread was snap judgments based on religious identification, rather than an assessment of people's character based on knowledge of their specific beliefs, which are quite different things.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% correct, that was the intent of the post
Old 11-18-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is hating someone solely due to their religion "just as bad as" being racist?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate republicans - am I a racist?

[/ QUOTE ]

no

"just as bad as" != equal to