Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Interesting ruling..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A dealer could be forgiven for stating that five 19 chip stacks is $500

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only part I disagree with.
The fact that any stack COULD be 19 or 21 chips is the reason the dealer HAS to break it down and not just 'eyeball' it.
Failing to double-check it is inexcuseable......

......This dealer was just plain lazy whether the stacks were 20, 25 or 19 chips and misrepresnting the stack by 1 chip is no more excuseable then misrepresenting it by 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I think about it you're right. Of course as mentioned below he only counts if asked.

~ Rick
Old 09-27-2005, 12:21 PM

I agree dealers should not touch the stacks until asked. but at that point, if the dealer is going to announce $500, then he needs to count it and make sure that's how much it really is.

al
Old 09-27-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree dealers should not touch the stacks until asked. but at that point, if the dealer is going to announce $500, then he needs to count it and make sure that's how much it really is. - al

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. In my above post I meant if asked "how big the bet".

My understanding is the dealer *should* never announce or count the size of the bet unless asked by a potential caller/raiser. This is so he doesn't induce or reduce action. Of course if he is asked, he needs to count any stack of "non-eyeball" size (let's say more than five chips) so he doesn't make an error.

Regarding *should*, I'm not sure this is standard most places and it certainly isn't consistently done even where it is policy.

~ Rick
Old 09-26-2005, 12:08 PM

in this case, the house should cover the 125$ that the player would have been forced to put in if not for the dealer error. Whoever fucks up, then thats who pays. Its the dealers job to count the chips down.

And leave the river to what it was. What if he sees the river and decides he doesnt want to call the extra 125$ because it would not have helped his hand?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in this case, the house should cover the 125$ that the player would have been forced to put in if not for the dealer error. Whoever fucks up, then thats who pays. Its the dealers job to count the chips down.

[/ QUOTE ]

The house just isn't going to do that unless the error was completely their fault. In this case the error was in large part Player A's.

[ QUOTE ]
And leave the river to what it was. What if he sees the river and decides he doesnt want to call the extra 125$ because it would not have helped his hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone believes the river card should come back.

~ Rick