Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Push or fold?
Push 27 77.14%
Fold 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2005, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Russian Roulette for $1 Million?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
those who would not play for any amount of are seriously mistaken and or stupid. If for no other reason then when you die you can have the money sent to feed all the starving children in africa that would save thousands of lives. Although a million may be too low, no amount of money is just retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree, people who won't regularly risk killing themselves at 5-1 odds are [censored] retards. The value of life is infinite, people who say 'how do you justify driving to work etc, 0.000001% chance of dying blah blah', well it's like this, don't move ever - risk of dying 100%.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

The value of life is not infinite. I don't feel like arguing with you because it won't make a difference.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yes, driving a car may be -inv EV, but I'm bankrolled for the risk

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter how bankrolled you are. -EV is -EV. You shouldn't take it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So would you play 100/200 on a 2k roll if it was +EV?

I'm sure you're a good poker player, go sit at the highest limit that you see fish in and let me know how it works out.

I saw a disgustingly good 150GBP game a while ago, but I didn't sit. Should I have?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The value of life is not infinite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say live in general is infinite. I said that I wouldn't take a significant risk of losing my own life for some large sum of money no matter how large. I enjoy life being not rich way too much to take that risk.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The value of life is not infinite. I don't feel like arguing with you because it won't make a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right it won't make a difference, taking 5-1 for a million dollars and losing your life 16.67% of the time is not good unless you are old and terminally ill. Nothing you can say would change that.

Regards Mack
Old 10-04-2005, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The value of life is not infinite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say live in general is infinite. I said that I wouldn't take a significant risk of losing my own life for some large sum of money no matter how large. I enjoy life being not rich way too much to take that risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post.

Mack
Old 10-04-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My friend and I are having a discussion as to whether or not a person would play 1 round of Russian Roulette for a guaranteed $1M from someone with too much money who just wants to pay to see someone try it. The game would be standard rules: a 6 shot revolver only 1 bullet in the chamber, a good spin of the chamber and no looking before you put it up to your temple and pull the trigger. If you lose, the $1M would still be paid to the beneficiary of your choice. I say that whether or not a person would take this deal would depend a great deal on their personal situation in life, but probably at least 10% of people asked would take it. She says that absolutely no one would take that deal, and after going over some extraneous situations (extremely suicidal people, etc.) she's conceded to less than 1% of people asked would do it. How many of you would do it, and why or why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tell you that I would SERIOUSLY consider it for $20 Million (tax free, lump sum, off-shore bank account)

SERIOUSLY consider it

that is enough by the way to change your life and to retire on.

who's gonna break out the numbers on this.

PLAY
16.5% chance of immediate death
83.5% chance of immediate awesome life

NO PLAY
0% chance of immediate death
0% chance of immediate awesome life
100% chance of grinding it out in a 9-5 for $50k-$80k salary, with smart investments in real-estate putting kids through college... awesome life might start at age of 55-60 at which time you are too old to enjoy your money to the max as you could as an early twenty-something yr old.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:03 AM

but if you lose, you'd become a case worker in hell for eternity, and i think that is just slighly -EV....
Old 10-04-2005, 10:07 AM

There are way too many happy and content people on this forum. Where are all the miserable, depressed mothereffers.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but if you lose, you'd become a case worker in hell for eternity, and i think that is just slighly -EV....

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt most ppl on 2p2 believe in hell (or a structured religion for that matter).
Old 10-04-2005, 12:16 PM

how about this:
you have a gun with 100 barrels and 1 bullett
the first time you pull the trigger you get $1 million, and every time after that it gets doubled.
how many times would you pull the trigger?