Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Question for Geniuses.

[ QUOTE ]

The ability to think, regardless of having or not having senses, is not impaired. However, the method and mode of thought is. Thought is based from experience - which is gathered from the senses. Without senses, a person has no experience, and therefore has no basis for thought. What would a person who has never experienced anything think about? His or her thought would be completely and radically different from our own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this as well. You experience things through human stimulus (senses). These experiences perpetuate thought. I do not think the brain could think without being "triggered" by some experience.

Suffice it to say that when we dream we are visualizing a montage of items/events that we've experienced in the past? I think so..

For instance, I study architecture and I've dreamt (sp?) about buildings that I know I have no seen, however, I think my dream was composed of glass, concrete, steel, brick, etc. that I've seen in the past and morphed into something that I'd never seen.

Also, we can all dream about or visualize a "fantasyland" but we can only do so by adding past images of palm trees, water, sand, coconuts, hot girls, etc. that we've seen in the past.

I do not think that humans can visualize something that can not be made of a set of items that they had previously seen. It's not possible.

If you've never seen a tractor, but you've seen tires, steel, glass, and the color yellow you can visualize a tractor. If you've never seen a Coke can but you've seen aluminum, and the colors red and white, you can visualize a Coke can, etc.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:15 PM

Exactly.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:08 PM

"I think therefore I am"
Old 09-17-2005, 08:24 PM

A valid quote. However, we are not doubting the existence of the baby - we know it exists and is technically alive. We are doubting, instead, that the baby would know this. I think not.