Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: BK and I disagree

"You may even not get to see if it gets raised and re-raised."

i was trying to think of some games i might not bet it in. i think the commerce 1-2 game might be one of them. if it's very likely to get checkraised and then reraised in a chip flurry attempt to take control of the pot by several ultra aggros then checking might be a little better. but that doesnt sound like the game youre describing.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:12 PM

Good info thread, I like Tommy's take
Old 09-29-2005, 03:37 PM

Just take the free card. The pot is big enough that anything plausible is almost worth a call so betting wont necessarily mean that callers are making a mistake. There are plenty of good cards for you on the turn. Sometimes exploiting position means taking a free card in this spot.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:43 PM

A nearly identical situation with some interesting discussion for those interested (commerce 9/18 hand from jason_t)

22 hand
Old 09-29-2005, 04:01 PM

My bad, thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 06:10 PM

Personally, I bet - the only argument for checking would be to raise any turn, which may or may not be a good move. I for one don't think it is, since you are representing a 5 and given how many people saw the flop, no one would believe that trips check on the button....but its possible I guess.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:50 PM

Holding 22 on a T44 flop isnt a nearly identical situation to holding 3c 3x on a 5c 4c 5x board. It's totally unrelated situation. You only have 2 outs.

In this case any 2 or 6 lets you continue, with the 6c or 2c giving you a strong hand in addition to the two 3s. Thats why checking and taking the free card is better.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet, for lots of reasons.

1) I might have the best hand.

2) Maybe somebody will fold.

3) Maybe somebody will checkraise with a draw and the hand will right away go to heads up with me last with a pair against a possible bluff which equals easy showdown if I wanna.

4) But here's the main reason. If no one checkraises after I bet the flop, then maybe whoever is still in there on the turn will check the turn to me and I can decide then if I want to bet my pair if I think it's still good, or check it if I think it isn't, and take the infinite odds I am getting to catch a three. (Plus I might pick up a straight draw on the turn as well.) I really like the idea of seeing the turn and river for one small bet. And even if I don't improve, I'll be in position to call down a river bluff if that seems right, or check behind on the river if it comes to that, or maybe even bet the river for value if I get checked to again. Lots of good things can happen on this hand that all start with a flop bet.

Tommy

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, what he says
Old 10-02-2005, 12:42 AM

This is a check and it's nowhere close.

You can't lose a flush draw or straight draw (both of which you'd like to see fold), an overpair and/or a 4 will certainly checkraise you and a 5 may also, and you don't want to lose anybody with "just" overs - they're your padding in case you catch a draw you'd like to chase. Moreover, you -already- have a free turn, and in this case, a turn in the hand is worth two -EV bets in the bush.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:42 AM

Haven't looked at the other responses.

Even if there is a chance Hero is ahead on the flop he is very unlikely to stay ahead on the turn with the best case two opponents (and three or four opponents is more likely per your analyis) without improvement.

IMHO this looks like a spot to take a free card hoping to spike an underfull since betting essentially doesn't improve your chances at winning.

~ Rick