Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2003, 10:42 AM

Default sounds good

Well, I'm glad I provided you with some entertainment, anyway.

I will have to disagree with one final point you make. I still think that this game in all it's forms should be fun. If it isn't fun, if it's all about pot odds and probability, then is it really worth the 1.5 BB's per hour? Wouldn't spending time with friends and family be more worthwhile in the long run?
I didn't realize that I'd made that point, but actually I agree with you for the most part. However, for me at least, losing almost always makes it less fun.
As to the second part... nope, I'll take the poker. Not all of the time (I couldn't be a full-time player) but when I'm playing poker, that's my main focus.
The social aspects of poker are a major draw for me, however, and why I'll never play online (well, one of the reasons, anyway)

Poker was intended to be a SOCIAL game. Interaction between competitors was paramount. Many mergers and deals, both business and political, have been made across a poker table. I think we have corrupted it to the point where it's about calculators and "Grouped" hands. How sad.
I agree with everything but the last. While I think you're correct in saying it's been influenced, I don't think it's just about the numbers. If it were, that would be sad and I wouldn't play.
We will have to respectfully agree to disagree. I have enjoyed the repartee and I am sure we will probably joust again. Obviously I will never make any "real" money at this game. I enjoy it too much.
Well, now that the tractor has been successful on me, I can say I've enjoyed it as well. And don't assume that you can't make money, or "real" money, while having fun. You just might not make as MUCH as you could... depends on how you are as a player.

See ya round.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:36 PM

Default Re: A Tournament Hand not to be Believed

Stagemusic,

You have really missed the point of this group. You wanted to share an intresting hand, thats all. However, the people in this group are doing nothing but playing to win - period.

You got exactly what any member of this forum could have told you, you would have gotten - advice on how to win and uncompresion at loosing a hand on purpose.

Jay
Old 08-08-2003, 06:59 AM

Nope, haven't missed the point at all. Right there on top of my head. Who said I was trying to LOSE on purpose? Actually, read the hand. I was calling originally just to show the hand. However, it ended up that only one card could beat me. There was no low. Someone happened to have it is all. And, as everyone agrees, he shouldn't have been in the hand in the first place either. As a matter of fact, I actually went into the hand a pretty good sized favorite from the other hands that remained. Spend a few more minutes reading the posts. You will not see where I play to lose in ANY situation. I happen to be a very competitive person who hates losing. I was just so shocked at the cards that I couldn't bring myself to fold them. Then, at the end, I was actually thinking with one out I could accomplish both. I was wrong, stuff happens.

My point in all of this was that I did not post the hand for a critique on my play. I KNEW and still know that AAAA is not a hand to be playing. Almost impossible to improve. The fact that the board did improve my hand (2nd nut if you think about it), does nothing. I merely posted it as a very unusual circumstance and thought people would get a chuckle or an OMG out of it. Simple.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:58 AM

Default (think Al Pacino from Godfather III)

However, it ended up that only one card could beat me. There was no low. Someone happened to have it is all. And, as everyone agrees, he shouldn't have been in the hand in the first place either.

Neither should you have, as you know.

As a matter of fact, I actually went into the hand a pretty good sized favorite from the other hands that remained.

No, you probably didn't- recheck those odds calculations, this is Omaha/8, a whole different beast. And remember, preflop you were only playing for 1/2 the pot unless a low never comes.

Spend a few more minutes reading the posts. You will not see where I play to lose in ANY situation.

... well, maybe ONE situation.. :0

I KNEW and still know that AAAA is not a hand to be playing. Almost impossible to improve.

Even less than impossible to improve dealt quads. It takes an extremely rare board to allow your pair, even Aces, to be a scooper and it will not often be a winner for half. Thus is the nature of Omaha.

The fact that the board did improve my hand (2nd nut if you think about it)

but the flop put you much farther back on the list to quads, sixes-full, two sets of trips and various straight draws. Playing for one-outers is NOT the way to go in this game.

Thus endth the Omaha hints by Easy E
Old 08-08-2003, 11:13 AM

Default Re: (think Al Pacino from Godfather III)

LOL. I get it. I am curious to see if anyone else does.

True enough about the flop. Turn is a different matter though.

Best comment of the year (this should be posted in every cardroom in America). "this is Omaha/8, a whole different beast"...never a truer word spoken. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think it's time to let this die a natural death. I did learn some stuff and I hope that it comes back to haunt some people. Easy, you are a winner and I look forward to reading your stuff...gl and see you at the tables. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2003, 08:27 PM

Sigh, I tried. Should have known better.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that Aces are very important in O/8, but they aren't strong enough to have 4 of them in your hand- they're not much different than any other quads IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aces are needed for any nut flush and any nut low. Whit those hands now impossible, your quads Aces becomes playable AS A BLUFF. The actual value or strenght of it is irrelevent. Quad Kings in your hand (or any other quads for that mather) has no Bluff Value.

Had you been further in the tourney whit the people left having a clue, you can easyly win this pot pre-flop has nobody will have close to a playable hand. If not, showing aggresion all the way would get the job done most of the time.

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 08-09-2003, 03:40 PM

Default Re: You meant \"Tournament Hand Play not to be Believed\"?

what is it with pokerplayers? I think it was fun, and it didnt cost much. sure it would be stupid in wsop but in a small online torney, cmon. Life is short, have some fun. I would have raised it the whole way screaming QUADS on the river, busted out had a beer and hoped somebody got a laugh. Relax.

Old 08-10-2003, 08:15 AM

"Aces are needed for any nut flush and any nut low. Whit those hands now impossible, your quads Aces becomes playable AS A BLUFF. The actual value or strenght of it is irrelevent. Quad Kings in your hand (or any other quads for that mather) has no Bluff Value."
Granted. however, with 3 other players in, would this work in anything but big-bet poker? As Kurds said elsewhere, if they were tight, possibly. Are you saying that limit tourneys generally will also have a fair success ratio?

"Had you been further in the tourney whit the people left having a clue, you can easyly win this pot pre-flop has nobody will have close to a playable hand."
They wouldn't take shots at the flop in a limit tournament with solid high-only hands, wouldn't they? For flops exactly like this, since they'll put you initially on a strong low or 2-way hand with your preflop move?

" If not, showing aggresion all the way would get the job done most of the time."
If someone goes with you all the way, you generally find them letting go on the river to one big bet?
Old 08-13-2003, 07:40 AM

Default I was a little bit wrong.

I thought this one was dead but ran across this article and just had to bring it up. This really illustrates what we were talking about really well and pointed out some errors in my thinking. I'm a big boy, I can admit to being (somewhat) wrong [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Aritcle

Give this a read if you haven't seen it before and you will see what I am talking about. It actually helped me over the past week. My EV for tournaments has gone up and it actually caused me to change sites but that is a topic for another forum. Look for it coming soon.

Stage Left. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]