Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: As a broke \"pro\" which game would you play...? (some stats)

[ QUOTE ]
I know some people do it well, but does anyone else find that multitabling SH really decreases your winrate a lot?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it helps me actually play better. i dont get bored and its easy to avoid tilt when you get a new hand every 8 seconds.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:57 PM

you go to showdown waaaaayyyyy toooooooo much.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you go to showdown waaaaayyyyy toooooooo much.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. i got around 37% and people tell me that's too high. also, high showdown % results in higher variance IMO.

good luck to you though man. 3/6 is a grind but i know you can beat it.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:15 AM

Actually if you only have 2800 to your name you better get a part-time job and get counselling about gambling addiction(semi joking). That is real dicey if you live any place but maybe Idaho...... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...we need to work out the very close situations...

[/ QUOTE ]

Also because it is the process of working out the answer that is important, not the answer.

Nice post!

/mc
Old 10-25-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At this point I am looking to 4-6 table whatever limit I play. I find I tilt much less 6 tabling than 4 as I dont have time to think up stupid "moves" to try and pull and generally play more solid ABC poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
The most important think for you to do is work on this. If you are not able to play at fewer tables without tilting and playing suboptimally, you have a problem. You need to examine what it is psychologically that is making you play badly when you are at fewer tables and really work on fixing the underlying problem. When you deal with it by playing so many tables that you are overwhelmed and numb, you are just hiding the real problem and soon it will come back to bite you in the ass. Not tilting should be your priority right now. This is more important that the stupid stats or anything else.

[ QUOTE ]
Not tilting is one of my new priorities.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh good.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You and schneids arent playing 3/6 you both also have significant poker experience.

There is also a big difference between devoting 15 hours to poker and playing 15 hours.

I dont play all that much, probably 600-800 hands a day on average but a lot of the time is waiting for good games and also studying.

Also to expect to grind out $2k a month out of a $2800 roll at low limits devoting only 15 hours a week is totally unrealistic.

If I had $2800 and had to pay bills I'd be so stressed I'd have gone bust and so would many people, it simply is not enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

....You can make $100 a day playing 1/2....
Old 10-25-2005, 12:51 AM

you have two options, play more hours, or dont take out 2k a month.
You expect to ply 15 hours and make atleast 2k a month? Thats 133 $ per hr. It is not possible to do this with your roll safely.
Its pretty simple. If you want to try 5-10 or 10-20 or 15-30 go ahead but be prepared to lose your roll and your career.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. I have a Dell 9300 17'' and an external monitor. Two tables are slightly covered. But at 5/10 at Party now, there are so many good tables. I really do 10 tables most of the time, and it goes down to 9 and 8. I've been averaging 830 hands an hour. I've had a 2+2er complain that I take too much time at the tables. I'm not sure if this will last, but it's fun trying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Impressive. A few questions if you don't mind sharing.

How big a sample size are you earning 1BB/100 over while 10 tabling?

What kind of swings are you seeing with that low a WR?

What are your basic PT stats? I would imagine you would have to play pretty tight to avoid being in 7-8 hands at a time.

Thanks,

Nigel

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a large sample size, and it's closer to 2 BB/100 but I started on a good run. Just like always, I can't tell you my true WR, only how I feel I'm competing, and I think it's only slightly worse than when I was 4-tabling, yet I've read a lot of 2+2 and I feel I'm getting stronger as a player.

There are larger swings ahead because I'm not as good, but worst so far is 60 BBs. I'm sure it'll be much greater, but the other side to that is that the swings even out quicker when you play 5,000 hands a day. Also, with more tables, you don't enjoy AA or despise JJ. You just play. Most of the time I barely see the results, so my play is all I can reflect upon.

My basic PT stats are the same as always except I play fewer hands, like 20/15 instead of 24/17, and I noticed my blind defense is less. I'm losing more in the blinds which I'm working on. I know I auto-fold more which I am also working on stopping. Like, K4o in the SB I auto-fold as soon as I see it. But I should keep it live in case it's folded to me and I have a tighty in the BB. Believe it or not, it's not really that hectic with that many tables.

I'm going to post results after my first 100k 10-tabling.

"I know some people do it well, but does anyone else find that multitabling SH really decreases your winrate a lot?"

"i think it helps me actually play better. i dont get bored and its easy to avoid tilt when you get a new hand every 8 seconds."

The reason I started doing 10 tables is because 5/10 at Party is so loose that it really is boring most of the time. True, there are challenging situations every session, but they are few and far between compared to how much we play. So for the 6-8 hours a day I'm going to be playing, I might as well play as many tables as possible. I'm not sure yet what that number is.

TstoneMBD:

"wow, i didnt even see him say this. 830 hands an hour holy [censored]. impressive man.

i dont mean to come off as arrogant when i say this, but as someone who has spent a good amount of time at lower limits putting in alot of hours 8tabling, id recommend that you take it down a notch. i burnt out. i dont know if it will happen to you but if youre good enough to beat the game playing that many tables you should be good enough to beat higher games. when i first started playing internet poker i was 8tabling 3/6 for 160 hours a month with back to back months. i ended up taking a 2 month break because the time i put in stressed me out too much. god, i wish i saved those long hours of 8tabling for the limits im at now or soon to be at. id love to put in 160 hours now."

I've burnt out before. So I quit poker, and got a real job Mat Damon style. I quit my part time diamond business and got a "real job". My family was happy. I worked for several months full time, and I realized that playing poker with heightened concentration 8 hours a day 5 days a week is much better than working a real job TO ME. Even when I was working, I still had a month with 40,000 hands 4-tabling including a lot of 2+2 study. So my heart was in poker.

My last day of work was last Saturday. I quit. I'm playing poker full time now. I'm playing 100,000 hands a month. Whether that's 6-tabling or 10-tabling, we'll see. But one thing I do know...I'll be less burnt out beating this game and studying than when I was wearing a suit too tight for me every day at a job I didn't like with people who didn't appreciate what I had to offer with the net result of being paid 1/10th of what I make in poker.

I'm only doing 100,000 hands a month for a few months to see how it goes. After that, I'll evaluate how it is affecting me. But playing 3 hours of 10-tabling, taking a 1/2 hour break, and playing 3 more, 5 days a week, and then studying some every day (with no external job), that's not exactly the most stressful thing I can imagine doing. I rather enjoy it. I even have time to watch TStoneMBD.com for fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

M
Old 10-25-2005, 01:19 AM

100k hands a month. wow. good luck to you man im envious of your capability in doing that. as a 20 year old immature idiot i really dont have the life experience of knowing what hard work making ends meat is. i mean ive definitely gone through struggles in my life for sure, but i dont know what its like to wake up for a 9-5er for years upon years. if i knew what that was like putting in full time hours of poker might be alot less challenging.

good luck in your poker career and i hope youll enjoy the game as much as the success youll have.