Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Alcohol, been sober for 10 monthes ok to drink in moderation?

Hi,

I used to be a degenerate gambler. I gambled away my house, my car, lost my job and my family. Haven't gambled for a year. Should I deposit my retirement account at a poker site?
Old 01-05-2005, 07:13 PM

Hey bro if 5-9 drinks a day is heavy, then i could only imagine your word for how I used to drink. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Anyway, sounds to me like you got a grasp of what you can handle. If you stayed sober for 10months I think you would be ok. Life is too short, have fun do what you want to do. You are aware you could slip into a drinking problem and im sure you will monitor yourself. The problem with alkies is that they wont admit to a problem. YOU HAVE!! A very mature step IMO so BOTTOMS UP!!!!

MRV
Old 01-05-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Contrary to popular belief, alcoholism can be overcome. Most people do not have to abstain for the rest of their life once they have conquered their addiction.

Sure, you could possibly regain bad habits if you are reckless, but this is not preordained. Al Anon pushes the lifetime addiction idea, but they are wrong. Just be responsible.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a tremendous difference between a "bad habit" and an addiction. That is hard fact. Ignore this fact at your own peril.

It is true that those who previously had alcohol abuse (vs. alcohol dependence) behavior in the past can at a future date engage in "controlled drinking"

However, if you think that asking this question in a forum such as this, I'd suggest that you still have more "quitting" to do before you can consider engaging in any drinking again....

Have you been through any form of treatment? If not, you definitely should seek professional treatment to obtain a competent assessemtn of your past drinkng behavior. Any contemplation of a resumption of drinking should be FIRST discussed within such a context.

Definite DANGER signs would be if you are: contemplating drinking alone; drinking in any similar context that you were drinking in before; drinking contrary to the advice of significant others in your life; drinking to accomplish some social/psychological function (e.g., relax, be more sociable, reduce tension, "unwind", etc.); resuming drinking without a clear understanding of how you will be doing it differently than before (and "less" is not "different")....

There is no doubt that resumption of drinking would be, at best, risky - you should be very careful, cautious and supported as you proceed....
Old 01-05-2005, 09:06 PM

terrible [censored] idea -

don't do it....any slight benefits you get will be undone by personal and physical damage should you start overdoing it again.

wish I had never started.

RB
Old 01-05-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey bro if 5-9 drinks a day is heavy, then i could only imagine your word for how I used to drink. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Anyway, sounds to me like you got a grasp of what you can handle. If you stayed sober for 10months I think you would be ok. Life is too short, have fun do what you want to do. You are aware you could slip into a drinking problem and im sure you will monitor yourself. The problem with alkies is that they wont admit to a problem. YOU HAVE!! A very mature step IMO so BOTTOMS UP!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You, Sir, are a TFI !!!

Doc JS
Old 01-06-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

MRV

[/ QUOTE ]

You are obvoously a TRUE ASS with no respect for people who post here that may be tryin to overcome their clinical alchoholism. Just because he has ADMITTED he has a problem, he can drink again? Wow I'm a pot smoker, coke addict,u name it!

Can I do all if THOSE drugs agai now as well ?!?!?!?!?!?

Do you have nay idea what would happen t me if I was to touch cocaine again? The same different with aclhohol. Ig you have an addiciton, that's it period - IMHO !
Old 01-06-2005, 04:01 AM

The reason I quit in the first place is because it was ruining my life. Drinking too much and gettin sick some nights, the headaches, the hangovers, the depression. Not having any friends or much of a life. I've treid the moderation after quitting in the past but slipped back into old habbits immediatly.
Was very, very close to going and buying some liquor yesterday. Decided to post this message first for some reason. After reading the responses, I've decided to not buy the liqour right away, and think this over some more.
Thanks
Old 01-06-2005, 06:55 AM

Default listen up

I fully believe that you are an alcoholic and you need to do something about it. Call AA tomorrow morning and go talk with them. It's obvious that you know that drinking has hurt your life in the past and will do it again.

You wouldn't be asking the question if you thought it was a good idea. Listen to yourself and do not drink again. Go to AA meetings. There is a saying: Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.

This is very true. You must not under any circumstances have another drink in your life. Possibly you could have one and be ok, but with each drink you have you risk spiraling down into destruction. It is too much to risk and it is not worth it.

Find another way to pick yourself up. Too many times do people focus their enegeries in a negative way. ie drinking, eating, smoking, drugs etc... Start exercising. Go for a run in the middle of the day. You'll be amazed how exercising and being in shape will pick you up.

HC
Old 01-06-2005, 07:06 AM

Go to some AA meetings then decide for yourself.

KC
Old 01-06-2005, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
about 1-3 drinks per day.

[/ QUOTE ]

here's the test:

when you say 1-3 drinks, are you actually thinking 3 (or 4) drinks? be honest with yourself.

if yes, don't drink a drop. it'll soon turn into 4-5 drinks, then 5-6, etc.

also, are you thinking about using alcohol again because you seriously think there are health benefits, or because you miss your alcohol? if it's because you miss your alcohol, and the supposed health benefits give you an excuse to drink again, definitely do not drink again.