Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 06:37 AM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.
Default Re: Best Heavyweight Fighter

Joe Frazier doesn't get much praise here.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:29 AM

Lennox Lewis is not getting enough respect here.
I would bet on him at 2/1 against any boxer in history, prime for prime.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
definatly tyson. he was relentless and in his prime would end the majority of his fights in the first and second rounds. he would fight people like they just killed his mother.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. Tyson isn't even on the list. Name one "good win" he ever had other than Spinks laying down. There are none. Buster Douglass owned him and Mike was in his prime. I love how people want to ignore that fact. That wasn't a flukey win, that was an ass kicking by a guy who wasn't afraid of him. He came back and got owned twice by Holyfield where he was exposed as a total fraud. Typical bully that had trouble with anyone who wasn't afraid of him. He struggled mightily against Razor Ruddick twice. Maybe the most overrated athlete of the 20th century.

Give me Ali and Foreman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bumped to add, he got whacked by a fat white guy.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:19 AM

Joe Louis.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:11 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
definatly tyson. he was relentless and in his prime would end the majority of his fights in the first and second rounds. he would fight people like they just killed his mother.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. Tyson isn't even on the list. Name one "good win" he ever had other than Spinks laying down. There are none. Buster Douglass owned him and Mike was in his prime. I love how people want to ignore that fact. That wasn't a flukey win, that was an ass kicking by a guy who wasn't afraid of him. He came back and got owned twice by Holyfield where he was exposed as a total fraud. Typical bully that had trouble with anyone who wasn't afraid of him. He struggled mightily against Razor Ruddick twice. Maybe the most overrated athlete of the 20th century.

Give me Ali and Foreman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Tyson with Cus D'amato wasn't overrated but an absolute monster in the ring. Once Cus died, Tyson went with Don King, who then tried to teach Tyson how to box, abandoning the peek-a boo style that he perfected with Cus. Then came the Douglas fight. Not taking anything away from Douglas as he fought amazingly, but this wasn't the same Tyson that it was under Cus. Tyson never threw a jab until King was involved. What's a short guy with no reach throwing a jab for? I remember my brother and me both said it at the same time when we first saw him throw one. It was like, Wtf!?!

I'll take Joe Louis over Foreman any day. I think Ali was the Joe Montana of Boxing. Very smart. Probably the most well rounded of any of them. He could do it all.

Marciano is my fav, but the division was kind of weak in his time so it's hard to gauge just how good he was.

b
Old 06-12-2005, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I Firmly belive that if D'Amato lives 5 more years, Rooney stays as his trainer, andKing never enters the picture, Tyson would be considered seriously among the greatest of all time for his entire career, instead of the running punch line and "oh, what he used to be" he is now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was bound to be a punchline, but I agree with your statement. Those 'big' fights would've been much different with 'Cus' in the corner.

b
Old 06-12-2005, 04:31 AM

Default Re: simple answer...

[ QUOTE ]
This is the Tyson everyone keeps referring to - I think the OP mentioned something about "in his prime" etc...

Tyson at 20-22 was a different person. There was no fear in his eyes, or anywhere else. He was a machine. A piece of iron. He threw the quickest most devastating power shots I've ever seen - And no one could hit him. Made Bert Sugar's top 25 pound for pound of all time - At 22!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think some forgot, or never saw just how amazing he was during this time. It's known that he hit harder than foreman. The leverage he got on uppercuts was astounding.

b
Old 06-12-2005, 04:34 AM

Default Re: The Correct Answer

Very nice list. Hard to argue with it.

b
Old 06-12-2005, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I Firmly belive that if D'Amato lives 5 more years, Rooney stays as his trainer, andKing never enters the picture, Tyson would be considered seriously among the greatest of all time for his entire career, instead of the running punch line and "oh, what he used to be" he is now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was bound to be a punchline, but I agree with your statement. Those 'big' fights would've been much different with 'Cus' in the corner.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

D'Amato encouraged Tyson's personality excesses, according to a great article in the New Yorker a number of years ago. Tyson had plenty of problems very early on, and it wasn't only Don King that brought him along as a boxer first and as a human being as a distant second. D'Amato wasn't as bad as King, but that's not saying much. He was definitely no hero.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:01 AM

Default Re: simple answer...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is the Tyson everyone keeps referring to - I think the OP mentioned something about "in his prime" etc...

Tyson at 20-22 was a different person. There was no fear in his eyes, or anywhere else. He was a machine. A piece of iron. He threw the quickest most devastating power shots I've ever seen - And no one could hit him. Made Bert Sugar's top 25 pound for pound of all time - At 22!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think some forgot, or never saw just how amazing he was during this time. It's known that he hit harder than foreman. The leverage he got on uppercuts was astounding.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

How, I wonder, could this possibly be known, Bernie?