Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Poker story on 60Minutes Wednesday

That female player (i didn't catch her name) was so irritating....the way she laughs as she fanned out her cash she won off of 'tilted' players. :/
Old 04-20-2005, 08:51 PM

It was Ok Moneymaker just explained how he read Farha!

And the stuff was about how they Lie!!
Old 04-20-2005, 08:55 PM

Dan Rather looked like he was having a fun time. This show definitely is going to help poker in a MAJOR way.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:55 PM

C'mon, you knew going in that it was going to be devoid of meaningful information to serious poker players. But it was another decent piece to fuel the masses into online poker.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That female player (i didn't catch her name) was so irritating....the way she laughs as she fanned out her cash she won off of 'tilted' players. :/

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the Director of 60 mins is standing behind the camera telling the women to act like that. I highly doubt she's be doing that if the cameras weren't there.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure the Director of 60 mins is standing behind the camera telling the women to act like that. I highly doubt she's be doing that if the cameras weren't there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't go home after a big win and fan out a wad of hundreds, laughing maniacly? Why do you even play poker?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:09 PM

This piece was fantastic for this community. I felt like the message was: "All you need to know is how to REEEEEAD people b/c it's ALL about the tells." I won't beat the dead horse that is the subject of tells, but you all get my meaning. Poker is so obviously not about playing good cards. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] You WILL make more money b/c of that piece.

The other thing that was retarded was Moneymaker saying that Farha had a tell by shuffling with his left hand. He bluffed while Farha was shuffling with his RIGHT hand (I have to go and watch the actual ESPN footage but that's how it appeared on 60 minutes). That is pure talent--go against the very tell you think can win you a title. I apologize in advance if the ESPN footage proves otherwise.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This show definitely is going to help poker in a MAJOR way.

[/ QUOTE ]

your dreaming.

This wasn't nearly as good as it should/could have been.
Pushing forth actual numbers of how much the poker-boom has exploded all over the country and the world would have been much better than having Jesus show the difference between a 'fast' call and a 'hesitant' call or that chick with the $5k fanned out who waits for the tilted tourney-loserrs.

The piece wasn't completely worthless...but it was close. I was expecting MUCH better.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:24 PM

Bob, don't you agree that the piece, as with a lot of these types of stories/articles, will add more bad players to the games, thus helping poker? If they mentioned the websites more I would have been happier.

Any time we can add worse players it's a good thing for all of us. Especially for me since I suck (relative to many of you).
Old 04-20-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something like this could actually help Pokerstars overtake PartyPoker. Will be interesting to see.

Wait...you telling me those Moneymaker/Raymer commercial spots aren't doing the job?

[/ QUOTE ]

Har har.
Yeah...those commercials really are pretty mediocre (at best).
For national TV spots with 2 world-champions they really should find a better ad-agency/production group.

You should have seen the spots that ran locally in Memphis a few mnths after Moneymaker won the WSOP.
They have Chris Moneymaker sitting at a really cheap looking poker table in the 1 seat. He's heads-up against some guy in the 10-seat. The announcer says something like 'This is it. World Champion Chris Moneymaker is going All-in!!' (Moneymaker shoves in some cheap looking chips).
'And he's got Aces!!' (cut to the other guy's flipped over cards which are KK...then cut to table which shows ace hitting on river).
'And that's it. Chris Moneymaker wins another championship. What a GREAT MOVE!!'

Then Moneymaker...still seated at the table...looks up at the camera, "And here's another great move. You can get 3 shirts and 3 ties for $79.99 at any great Kenneth Men's Clothing location."

(remembering the commercial as best I can...this account was pretty close...couldn't remember the name of the store though)

It was cheesy and terrible and I only saw it a few times. I really wished I had taped it because it was SOOOOO bad.
I sure hope they hooked up Chris with a REALLY nice suit for taking part in such a BAD commercial.