Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Turn

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I really do appreciate these hands and the work that Lloyd and our "masters" put in, and am excited for the prospect of more hands to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said Pat.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:17 AM

Well I'm pushing here I see a pot that is bigger than my stack and top two pair in my hand, I'm putting it in. I don't see many holdings he can fold.

Same range as before AK, AQ, AJ, A10, KQ, KJ, K10, Q10

I can see an argument for a chip extraction call here. I think it is weaker than the chip extraction call on the flop re-raise. Obviously, the flop call worked because we got a turn leadout. If we call here he might just throw in the rest of his chips on the river in a vague bluff attempt hoping we missed some sort of draw.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:23 AM

Auto push
Old 10-14-2005, 07:31 AM

Villian has T-Q or JJ or KK or AA or AJ. Villian wants a call. Hero is behind and should fold.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:53 AM

It looks like the villain is trying to get paid with a big hand. Villain knows that hero is strong with an early PF raise. Even if villain held AJ or KJ he knows he could be up against AK alot of the time. Trips may be a less likely holding for hero who would surely have pushed the flop given the texture of it.

Also the turn bet of 800 seems too small to be an attempt to take the pot. I think its likely the villian could have QT or JJ and knows he could be up against 2 pair and is trying to win as much as possible.

Therefore i fold the AK.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:19 AM

i have read the previous parts but havent posted a response.

for all those that said push i am confused. obviously we dont have a problem with all the money going into the pot but why do it all on the turn? granted, if the villain bets the rest of hero's chips on the river, i will call no matter what card falls. but what if the villain checks the river? i would be happy to check behind. sure having 900 left if i lose sucks but i dont think theres a ton of value in just shoving the turn. im not a frequent MTTer but the Hw/the masters posts are cool and id like to learn more. please tell me why pushing the turn is better if you disagree as id like to know if my thought process is wrong.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Range of hands for the villain? What do you make of the villain's bet? Do you fold, call, or raise? If you raise, to what amount? If you just call, what's your plan on the river based upon the card and the villain's action?

[/ QUOTE ]

My range hasn't changed from the last update. There's a 75% chance I'm ahead here based on the hand ranges. He may be ahead w/JJ or QT and be betting for value or he may have caught a piece of the flop and think he's ahead. No need to raise since his chips are going in. (rope a dope strategy) Here I call. Can't fold top two pair at this point. Chips look like they're going to find their way into the pot by the river.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian has T-Q or JJ or KK or AA or AJ. Villian wants a call. Hero is behind and should fold.

[/ QUOTE ] That's a pretty tight range for no read.

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like the villain is trying to get paid with a big hand. Villain knows that hero is strong with an early PF raise. Even if villain held AJ or KJ he knows he could be up against AK alot of the time. Trips may be a less likely holding for hero who would surely have pushed the flop given the texture of it.

Also the turn bet of 800 seems too small to be an attempt to take the pot. I think its likely the villian could have QT or JJ and knows he could be up against 2 pair and is trying to win as much as possible.

Therefore i fold the AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, you can't give "big hand" credit to a preflop raise in a 109 or you'll just fold away to the end.

Second, you put JJ into the range of the villain. If you were the villain would you a) just call preflop with JJ? b) Then on a straighting board with two overcards do you check/ min raise bottom set on the flop?

Can an 800 raise just be that villain feels like he has to try and take a shot at this turn, because he has two pair or top pair with a straight draw, but doesn't want to commit himself?
Old 10-14-2005, 08:48 AM

I dont play the 109's so i cant comment but i wasnt saying you need to give credit for all Pre Flop raises. I was saying as the PF raise was from early position then it is more likely to be a big hand IMO

With JJ i think i would just call from the SB and see the flop. I dont neccesarily want to play a big pot out of position with JJ against an early position PF raise. Would rather see what comes on the flop. Different if you have position on the raiser.
I agree with your point about the play of JJ on the turn i would raise it more.

Does the 800 bet not commit the villain anyway? is he going to lay down 2 pair if hero re raises getting 4 to 1 on his money in a big pot?

I think the villain is strong and in this case i would fold the hand and wait for a better spot.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:12 AM

Push...