Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: interesting 55 hand.. thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
This is a leak I have, since i would have called his river bet.

HOW DID YOU KNOW YOU WERE BEAT ON THE RIVER?!

What gave it away? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this isn't an easy muck for you, you are right... it is a leak. Put this hand in the replayer and watch it over and over again. Look at the bet sizes. Look at the stack sizes. Look at position. Watch how the hand developed.

Keep watching it until it is clear that the SB has 2 pair or better. Then let this pattern crystalize in your mind, because you will see it again... except when you see it next time you will underbet the pot on the flop and get away for even fewer chips.

Irieguy

PS- Don't misunderstand this post as to suggest that anytime somebody cold calls your bet into a dry side-pot your top-pair is no good. The details of this hand are important.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:57 PM

Maybe this is a leak I have as well and is contributing to my current downswing. Who knows?

But after reviewing the hand, I think you can put the sb on the following hand ranges.

Preflop: You can put the sb on a large number of hands.
Post-flop: KQ,44-TT I think any ace he would have bet the flop. Also JJ+ (maybe even TT) he probably would have reraised preflop. KJ seems too weak to call a raise here especially since he will have to showdown the hand.
Post-turn: I think you can narrow the range down further into KQ,55-66. I would imagine he is betting the turn with KQ because he feels his king is good, or he has trips and wants to protect them somewhat from the flush draw and he wants to value bet into a dry side pot if that is possible??
River: This is where it gets confusing. His bet here is SCREAMING call. However, there isn't much of a sidepot to bluff at and he will be forced to showdown whatever hand he has if raptor does fold. The final thing about his bet is that he won't check a made hand and I guess it is this that is swaying me to fold this river. I reason he won't check because raptor will likely check behind him since raptor has to showdown his hand as well and likely won't try to bluff at the small side pot.

Am I correct in my hand ranges and reasoning of the villain? Given these hand ranges, a fold seems very plausable, but not easy...at least until the river.

Your post makes it seem like a fold is very easy pre-river yet I cannot see any ease in folding until the river.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
except when you see it next time you will underbet the pot on the flop and get away for even fewer chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

im confused as to how you would lose less chips by betting the flop. how much would you bet on the flop? assume he calls.. u just immediately go into check fold mode? enlighten me master [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] holla
Old 08-09-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Irieguy wrote:
If this isn't an easy muck for you, you are right... it is a leak. Put this hand in the replayer and watch it over and over again. Look at the bet sizes. Look at the stack sizes. Look at position. Watch how the hand developed.

Keep watching it until it is clear that the SB has 2 pair or better. Then let this pattern crystalize in your mind, because you will see it again... except when you see it next time you will underbet the pot on the flop and get away for even fewer chips.

Irieguy

PS- Don't misunderstand this post as to suggest that anytime somebody cold calls your bet into a dry side-pot your top-pair is no good. The details of this hand are important.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is my read:

Preflop- I have no idea what sb could have called with. Even at the $55's, I've seen sb call with AX, or 2 suited connectors.

Turn (main pot= 225, side pot= 30):
Villian bet out 3/4 pot (150 chips). He was either slow playing his Ax or paired up his king. His bet was to let raptor know he has a piece of the board and was big enuf that chasing a flush draw would be incorrect. when raptor called, that told him that raptor also had a piece of the board.

River (main pot= 225, side pot= 330):
Villain bet out 350 chips (~same as side pot). He's saying his hand is strong. I put him on at least tpgk.

but why do you say with that size bet he has at least 2 pair?

raptor- if he only bet 150 on the river, why wouldnt you call?
Old 08-09-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raptor- if he only bet 150 on the river, why wouldnt you call?

[/ QUOTE ]

i mean yea i can beat A9.. but call and lose 150 more chips? naww.. not worth it. holla
Old 08-09-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the all in guy is why I would bet the flop. People turn tight passive once there's a sidepot, especially weaker $55 players.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I love 2+2. I knew that, but I knew it on a gut level. Having someone say it out loud confirms that gut feeling and makes it seem.. I don't know, validated. I swear I learn something every time I come here.

Thank you!