Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: AK call down with turned tptk?

[ QUOTE ]
Avi,

Welcome aboard. Chill dude. Now I know no one said that...also, I think in reference to ever calling or checking being a "crime against humanity" is UNDERSTATED... Its an inside Two Plus Two joke. DS once replied to a post something to the effect of...not raising there is a crime against humanity".

Welcome aboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I didn't mean to come off too intense or anything like that, I am rather chilled to be honest as I'm sitting here in only my underwear in front of the AC... I was trying to make a joke myself though it probably was only funny to me! In any event, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't misunderstood in my previous messages. I wasn't implying that the hand was misplayed or anything, I was just throwing something out there to see how others would respond. Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 07-05-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in no way was my reply in direct reference to anyone who posted in this thread. i was just pointing out something about the forum, and how when players starting out think "Tight/Aggressive" means betting and raising recklessly and then come up with reasons for it after they raise... such as "free card" or "to see where i'm at". basically, they know aggression is good but they're not sure where to apply it and when to turn it off. i wasn't taking a shot at you or anyone else.

as mike said, welcome to the forums. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks so much for that, I sometimes will be overly aggressive and it does get me into trouble... I don't think I'm necessarily reckless, but I do overplay my weaker made hands at times...if AK can be considered a weak made hand when it flops a pair... It seems any time I've posted a hand whereby I thought I was behind with say AQ with an A on the flop, and I've gone into "call down mode" people usually crucify me. If I put a particular player on a big hand, like AK when I have AQ in my previous example, people on this forum usually tell me I'm "playing scared" or something, even though I usually am pretty decent at reading hands, whether its live or online. As far as not knowing when to apply it / turn it off, I could use some work on those concepts. So yeah, I hope no offense was taken, I tend to lean towards aggression whether I'm playing poker or posting messages about poker...thanks for the feedback... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to lean towards aggression whether I'm playing poker or posting messages about poker... thanks for the feedback...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. no problem. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Calling down the turn and river seem like good ideas...at that point if he's AA, KK, or (once the river hits) QQ, at least you're not spewing. Tough hand. Good post. Thanks for the discussion -- made me really think.

[/ QUOTE ]

aggression in the face of aggression isn't always the answer. a lot of posters on these boards are think checking or calling on any street is a crime against humanity, it's not. you seem like you're hear to learn and that's a good thing. keep posting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am definitely here to learn. I've developed a playing style that I am winning with (through a total of a mere 90k hands)...but I am certainly a LONG way from "being there." This hand (and all the discussion) has been especially helpful to me, as a VERY similar situation arose earlier today...I lost a lot less than I might have due to the analysis here. So thanks for that.

I think I tend toward too aggressive on the flop, not aggressive enough on the river -- and somewhere in between on the turn. Still searching for balance.

-D