Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: How valuable would a $215 coach really be?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, I would quickly pay someone $30,000 if they could make make me into a 15% roi $215er.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. Not that I can help you but knowing that you play that level I am curious what your ROI currently is.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. to hear citanul tell it, FieryJ is young and rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he is running at 8-10% roi, he is still making a killing. An extra 5% ROI would mean 60k+ plus over 5k games for him, though, so it would seem like a good investment to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe, but how many $215ers do you know who've been able to sustain a 15% ROI long nough to where you could really trust that they can coach you to do the same?
Old 09-04-2005, 07:43 PM

"now, my question is it worth it to pay $20-$30,000 in order to be coached and taught how to beat the $215s or better?"

It probally is. If you go the 'free' route and teach yourself, then it'll take much longer to develop the skills than if you have someone guiding you and explaining everything. The extra income you make by getting to that skill level quicker probally outweighs the initial cost of the coaching. Course this is assuming you have the money to pay the coach, and some leftovers for a bankroll.

I'd prefer this sort of deal at shorthanded/HU NL ring though.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:36 PM

Ive coached one player and they went on to do fairly well in both the 100s and 200s. It's not something I do anymore because its just not worth the time usually, I'd rather be playing myself. Also the best way to learn poker is not by getting some expert to teach you what to do in certain spots, but by learning how to think and adapt to certain situations.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive coached one player and they went on to do fairly well in both the 100s and 200s. It's not something I do anymore because its just not worth the time usually, I'd rather be playing myself. Also the best way to learn poker is not by getting some expert to teach you what to do in certain spots, but by learning how to think and adapt to certain situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. It might be good to pay a top player for liek 1 or 2 lessons to help teach you how to think. But to get constant and regular training seems like a bad idea to me. Anyone who is willing to do that for a cheap price is almost surely not qualified to do so. There are exceptions to this rule, but in general I wouldn't trust that anyone's true win rate is much higher than whatever they are charging for lessons.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. It might be good to pay a top player for liek 1 or 2 lessons to help teach you how to think. But to get constant and regular training seems like a bad idea to me. Anyone who is willing to do that for a cheap price is almost surely not qualified to do so. There are exceptions to this rule, but in general I wouldn't trust that anyone's true win rate is much higher than whatever they are charging for lessons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, teaching someone to play would get them about as far as showing them this site. If they are willing to listen to you and absorb, they could do their own research for free. Experience is everything, showing someone what to do in a certain situation without understanding and "knowing" exactly why, will be misapplied so much by the student that it will end up costing them.

A coach would get someone as far as "how to beat the 10s". All of the subtleties are best learned on your own.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:06 AM

"but by learning how to think and adapt to certain situations."

This is why I'd get a coach. Not to tell me what to do, but to explain important concepts & theory so I can think for myself, and grow by myself.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"but by learning how to think and adapt to certain situations."

This is why I'd get a coach. Not to tell me what to do, but to explain important concepts & theory so I can think for myself, and grow by myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gigabet stated that iamcastleman charged him $20,000

[/ QUOTE ]

You should post the link. It's been a long time since I read that thread. My recollection of that post was that he said he paid his brother $20k, not that he was charged. Semantics of course, but it leads into my next thought.

The reason I bring this up is because this thought has always occurred to me. $20k is a huge up front fee for this IMO. I would wager that the agreement between the brothers was that Giga would pay his brother whatever amount his biggest one month earn was. Speculation of course.

Scuba
Old 09-05-2005, 12:24 AM

I want to be a coach....

I'll only charge $5k at the 100+9 level [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to be a coach....

I'll only charge $5k at the 100+9 level [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you $50 and I'll buy some beer and rated R movie tickets and stuff.