Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 05:37 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: My story

[ QUOTE ]
Writing is so not my thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the writing was cool. Just the time deal as far as following you through it. It read pretty smoothly.

b
Old 05-05-2005, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's a great story, BK. Congrats on your success.

[ QUOTE ]
Nate tha' Great: played in that juicy 15/30 pacific game back in the day and tought me a good thing or two. I'll never forget when he tought me to call the turn c/r or donkbet and raise the river instead on semi-scary boards.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder if you have a link to this discussion or if you can explain the situation in a little more detail?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A typical situation: say you raise with QQ and are called by a pretty loose aggressive player in the blinds. The flop is T64 rainbow you bet and are called. The turn is another T that puts a flush draw on the board. You bet and are check-raised.

Now, I think I probably have the best hand, although there's some chance that she'd play a T this way. It's tempting to re-raise right there but there are two good reasons to wait and put a raise in on the river:

1) If she's bluffing with very little, she may fold to a turn re-raise rather than putting another bet in the pot.

2) Waiting until the river reduces the risk of a reraise because the opponent may fear that I have a monster like trips with a better kicker or a boat (I'm assuming the player is wild enough that I don't want to fold to her reraise, but it's worth something to reduce the chance of a re-raise).
Old 05-05-2005, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(I'm assuming the player is wild enough that I don't want to fold to her reraise, but it's worth something to reduce the chance of a re-raise).

[/ QUOTE ]
This last sentence, are you talking about the turn or river here? If reraised on the river, do you typically call?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played 5/10 until the end of march and ran really well. With a bankroll of 10k I started taking short shots at 15/30 on pacific when the game looked especially good. The first hand I played at the limit I took a nasty beat, but other than that, I ran very hot and in 2 months ran up 35k or so playing that single table of 15/30 and 4-5 3/6 party tables.

With 3000 in my empire account and a roll(well, the amount of money I had total) of about 50k, at the beginning of June 04 I played my first party 15/30 hand. The first day i ran it up to 6500 or something like that. The next 2 weeks were ups and downs of about 1500ish. At the end of june I broke 10k on my empire account. The rest of the summer I spent 4-6 tabling the 15/30 game and when I went back to school in late august I had an 85k roll

[/ QUOTE ]

How many hours a week did you play? Did you do anything else while playing? No burnout?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:41 AM

Congrats,
What kinds of things did you do to improve your game throughout this timeline? Was it primarily reading through the forums, or did you spend the majority of your time reading books? I would imagine that it would be tough to stay motivated after having all that success.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:42 AM

Good post and a sad one in a way for me.

I remember when I was posting the first time in SS that you were one of the regulars there and remember Red Rain first starting to post. Sounds like you guys have focused and moved onwards and upwards while I havent, more cos I have been messing around with other games and other holdem types. So while you guys have pushed on and had a 100k+ roll I am sitting here on a 5k roll playing $30 mtt's and trying to learn Pot Limit even though I play 20hrs a week.

But I think its the grind I cant take sitting multi tabling limit when I have a full time job that more than pays my way it was hard to motivate myself otherwise, but reading this I think of what might of been (and I guess still could be)maybe not as high but I could easily have been up to 15/30 by now with a bit more conviction.

Good luck on going pro sounds like whatever happens with it you are giving yourself the best start into your adult life.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:45 AM

I was working part time in the inner city as a day camp leader. 1230-430pm m-f.

I played at nights a decent amount.

i'm a goofy wierdo, i haven't really experianced much burnout. There's too much money to be won...which gives me motivation.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:03 AM

Wow! Great story!
Old 05-05-2005, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Writing is not my thing, but I've been asked by many people to post my story, so here it is.

Writing is not your thing, yet you have authored 2,946 posts on this website. The internet is a strange place.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Been said, but great story. Thanks for taking the time to write it out.

[/ QUOTE ]