Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 09:17 PM

Default Re: My only problem with Poker

Charlie,

Most of us have to accept the fact that we are insignificant. I think you are overvaluing your contributions as a banker or any other sort of rank-and-file job.

-Michael
Old 10-14-2004, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Politics and Banking

lol go easy on him kase, he's from alabama.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:52 PM

I really know where you're coming from here as I have had many of the same feelings myself. I think that the only way you can give back and really contribute to society playing poker is if you become extremely successful, and are able to have an influence over others through poker. The values and goals you expressed are very hard to achieve through poker and there are many other professions that will put you in a better position to give back and really make as big a difference as you can. This is the conclusion, I have come to anyway.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:13 AM

You make it sound like staying in banking would be good because you'd gain a great deal of "power" in the near future. How is that making the world a better place? It just makes you feel better about yourself and may well make those around you have a much lower opinion of you depending on how you wield your power. Current society may put you in a higher place because of power or money but nobody will give a rats @ss about you in 10 years unless you reach the level of a Gates, Soros, etc. and they will eventually be replaced by other rich/powerful people.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:12 AM

I kinda agree with you.

I live in SF, where I see homeless people asking for handouts every day, many of them healthy enough to be working but have chosen a path in life where they contribute nothing to society.

I'm not nearly good enough to consider becoming a poker pro, but have entertained the "what if". And I thought about what I would contribute to society. Nothing, really. My current job may not be of significant value to society, but I pay taxes and help my company in their endeavors, and they in turn provide a service, employ people and pay taxes.

I don't begrudge those that choose to play poker professionally, though.

-Z
Old 10-15-2004, 01:38 AM

the bigger picture is nobody really accomplishes anything in life, they just fool themselves. unless you come up w/ the cure for cancer or something.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention, I think I would be correct in saying the Republicans have more billionare backers than do Democrats, in fact it's so uncommon, that everyone talks about Soros and thus knows about him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. Just for kicks, I've gone through the Forbes list of top 50 billionaires. There are more Democrats than Republicans, based on political giving.

Moreover, of the top 50 billionaires, the Democrats tend to be MUCH bigger political givers than the Republicans.

Further, the top 3 Americans appear to be Democrats. Bill Gates is debateable -- he used to be a Democrat, but he's certainly more amenable to Republicans after they fought for Microsoft. Warren Buffett and Paul Allen both have records of political giving that favor Democrats. Buffett is clearly a Dem.

If you were to control for race, you'd find significantly more Democrats in the top 50 billionaires than you'd otherwise expect if you held everything else the same.

re: Soros
The reason Soros has created a splash is because he has sought publicity in his giving and made inflammatory comments comparing Bush and Hitler. It's not because he's a billionaire supporting Democrats. That's commonplace.

In short, next time you feel like political hypothesizing, perhaps you should do some research first.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:54 AM

Hi,

I am in a similar situation as you. My toughts around it is that: I work so I can live my life, I dont live so I can go to work. (work2live not live2work)

I you are playing poker 8 hours a day and then live a nice life with that income then you can contribute to society, write a book, hang out with your freinds or whetever.

If you dont like the carreer path within the poker business get another job that have that.
If you let your hobby poker becaome your job then you need another hobby because without meaningfull stuff to do with your "free" time you dont have a life, you are just working.

My 2c
Lamby
Old 10-15-2004, 04:44 AM

Charlie,

I hear you. I have struggled with some of the same types of thoughts for years now. I am a registered nurse by days and play poker semi-professionally by nights. I thought for a long time that I just preferred to not have to depend on poker income for basic needs, but I suspect the conscience thing is also a factor.

I know that I have been guilty of some shady morals while playing poker, the most notable of which was joking and conversing with a huge fish for hours one night in a game where he came in saying he was going to play every hand and reraise if anyone else raised. He also came well enough funded to have the pros salivating (10K in a 20/40 game). In retrospect, did I really do anything wrong? Sure, I spent some time talking with someone that I ordinarily wouldn't have given the time of day to, but that could be argued to have been just good customer service. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You could always consider something along the lines of what Barry Greenstein has done with the philanthropy of his giving tournament wins to charity. From his interviews that is his primary reason for playing tourneys.

You could also consider that the reality is that not many of us will be remembered after our passing. Poker is simply a way to earn a living. If it makes you feel better, resign yourself to try to always give something back to the poker community. It could be helping the newbies, being kind to the new players, dealers, and card room staff, or whatever makes you feel good.

Always remind yourself also that fish choose to be fish. The information is out there for them to learn to play better. If they choose to ignore it, that is not the skilled players responsibility.

Regards-
Old 10-15-2004, 05:32 AM

Well I can say still, I have no idea who Soros is, in fact I am wondering if that is his first or last name.

I can't be bothered worrying about billionaires, they have to be technically scumbags to screw that much profit out of what they do, there is no denying it... 8)

It's too much $ for one person, it's totally absurd, yet MJJ went broke or close to it, what MUST I think about him just for that, let alone his *cough* boy toy fetish?
Sell the Beatles catalog back to Paul! LOL!

>TW<