Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Is Tiffany Williamson qualified to write a poker column

I can understand that an inexperienced player making a decision where several hundred thousand in real $s is at stake might take a while.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, players with more experience than me (such as those who frequent the twoplustwo boards) would have been able to make those decisions much quicker than I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understated and all- classic!
Old 11-02-2005, 03:24 PM

it's a sad fact of life that some of the best players (TJ, for example) are also some of the worst writers -

that sorta applies to anything - I wrote a chapter in a book years ago that was technical and educational in nature - and it's a fact that many, many network engineers know how to do something but don't know how to teach how they do it - That's why I got the writing - not because of my gig, but because I could write it clearly and explain it in a way a person would get it for the exam -

I'm having that issue with a new employee at work right now - I have to teach a firewall guy subnetting and I have a real easy way to do it in my head, but I have to re-explain/reexamine it for the guy that doesn't know anything about subnetting.

I read a lot of great poker and gambling related material but it doesn't have to be all written by world champions - sometimes one of the best articles are written by guys who say "Hey, here's what I'm learning while I play - watch out for this" whereas a pro may not be able to regress back that far.

I liked Varkoni's column - if for no other reason then it answered some of my questions about how he won - but I'm not reading him for that grand insight I get when I read something Jennifer Harman wrote, for example, but I think sometimes, what Robert writes may have more application for my current level then what Jenn writes.

RB
Old 11-03-2005, 01:33 PM

very nice post. sounds like you have a great sense of humor and great confidence...not to mention a nice bankroll that most everyone but a few on this board are w/out.

bwana
Old 11-03-2005, 04:59 PM

If your thought process consists what we heard during your KJs vs AA hand then all the time in the world aint gonna help you.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:20 PM

Judging by Tiffany's articulate reply she would probably say the she's already written an article. Thanks for the link, btw.

I hadn't heard of her before but I like her already after reading her responses.

It seems as if there's always a rush by players who haven't made the top tables in a big tournament to claim they are better players and "could have done that". Sure.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed I did, and it did not take me that long to write it! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Although, to be fair, a solitary article does not a regular column make, so I doubt it would prove satisfactory evidence to betgo.

I'm not sure why betgo uses my name to try to make his point. And I'm not sure why it is of concern to anyone whether I'm "qualified" to write a column. I can and have writen about my own experience at the WSOP, as noted by daveymck. If someone is interested enough to ask me to write about my experience at the WSOP (which was extraordinary), I'm happy to oblige.

As for Mr. McManus, I don't follow his column but I certainly enjoyed his book.

[/ QUOTE ]

" I had won two big pots in the previous days with AQ, so I was happy to see my old friend again. And this time, it’s suited!"

BUT THEIR S00T3D!!1!1!!!11!1!1!11
Old 11-04-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tiffany Williamson finished in the top 20 in the WSOP with a much bigger field than McManus. Shouldn't she also be qualified to write a poker column for a major newspaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the notion of qualification to be inane used in this context. She can write and she's played poker, therefore she's qualified to write about poker. We're not talking open heart surgery here. Does she possess the same qualifications as her colleagues in bridge and other games? Clearly not.

Tiffany became extremely marketable and it almost doesn't matter if she knows even less about serious poker strategy than she appears to know. She will help the NY Times produce profit because of her high finish and her membership in two minority groups in competitive poker. It's only entertainment. She's payed to write, thus qualified.

I think she's as qualified as anyone to write about her own experiences in poker. And I could see those experiences being quite interesting and maybe worth my time.

From a strategy standpoint, she has credibility just based on her finish. I wouldn't listen to all of her advice based on her play of which I'm aware, but even in her musings, some innate sense of tournament poker is present when she talks about intimidation and aggression.

I don't find your comparisons particularly applicable to Tiffany mainly because I don't see writing prowess nor poker skill and achievement that important for someone to write a poker article, even for the pomposity that is the NY Times. They are features I prefer in a writer on poker, but it's pretty clear the poker world doesn't revolve around my desires which appear to be the same as yours.

P.S.

I knew who Williamson was (I was live for the AQ all in pf that sucked out on the guy's KK), was just waiting for you to get to the point.amson finished in the top 20 in the WSOP with a much bigger field than McManus. Shouldn't she also be qualified to write a poker column for a major newspaper.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-04-2005, 03:25 PM

McManus is an idiot when it comes to poker. I suspected this after reading his book, but after reading his AQ article, I'm 100% convinced.

In the article, part of his evidence as to why AQ is a bad hand is that it lost to A4 and to A9 at the final table. Yeah, going in as a 70/30 favorite with AQ on those two hands was just bad poker.

As a long time reader of the NYT, I find it insulting that they print his garbage.