Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 09:00 AM

Default New ambassador for Poker emerged

I have to admit that I have never been much of an Annie fan before last night. In fact, from the stories I read on the internet and her antics shown on tv the last couple of years. I thought that even more than being a great poker pro she was just Howard's little brat sister. However, last night I thought she handled herself with a great deal of class and grace as well as playing very solid poker. Instead of throwing a bunch of insults about the poor play of others, she was very complimentary even when others made questionable plays. Great job Annie, I am a new fan!
Old 09-22-2004, 02:15 PM

Default Re: maybe a little chip dumping between annie and howard? why not?

i don't get the assumption that the reaction is to play softer against a sibling.

if i were playing against one of my brothers or my gf, i think i'd be *more* likely to try and bust them out -- bragging rights are so much better when you get to exercise them often. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2004, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Greg Raymer - please correct me if I am wrong - but it seemed to me like you played a different game since there was no second place

[/ QUOTE ]

of course he was...why would he not change his strategy based on the payout schedule? That's like, tourney 101.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:01 AM

WOW - obviously, I agree that T101 is to get 1st place here with no money going to second.

But it is still very awkward to watch people calling with ten-high more than once (this makes me think Raymer plays more coin flips than others have said he did simply because of his large chip lead in the 2004 WSOP).

He still made some VERY questionable plays even though only top spot pays out.

Sossman - Can you honestly say that this was his best spot to put his money in with a chiplead?

Regardless of TV cameras, etc., I believe the ten-high CALLS were not the most optimal plays and cannot agree that just since only top spot payed that these were the right plays to make.

And everyone can say the pots odds/56:44 etc. business but I believe 2 million dollars is to be taken a little more seriously than that. I know Raymer did not win that whole 5 million with all the backers now adays, so who wouldn't need that cash (for nothing -- i.e. for no buy-in)?
Old 09-24-2004, 09:11 AM

Sossman - I know you are a much respected player on this sight but anyone that calls against me with a TEN-HIGH OFFSUIT for that much money is a welcome player in my CASH/TOURNEY home-game (with whatever buy-ins you like i.e. $20, $50, $100, $500, $1000, etc.).

I would love to play an only top-spot-payed SNG with you if you played like what I saw on TV (though I'm once again gonna go on a rail here and say that isn't quite you're game).

If you live near Santa Barbara, CA, let me know cause I will get you in if you can justify plays like this ... (which I'm sure you will with pot odds, etc.)...
Old 09-24-2004, 09:30 AM

Chip dumping? I doubt it very seriously. But chip dumping or not the call was correct IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
Again what they didn't show explains my call there. Howard got all those chips by raising all-in almost every hand he played. He was playing super aggressive all-in poker. My hand rated to be the best hand there and I am willing to gamble on a race to get a hold of a lot of chips in a winner-take-all situation where I was definitely not the best player left. I was not going to outplay my brother. he is a better player than me. There is nothing extra for coming in second over first. So I will gamble there with what rates to be the best hand. I got unlucky that he had an overpair.

Annie

[/ QUOTE ]

"I got unlucky that he had an overpair."

But it quickly turned to very lucky.

I wasn't there but had 2 buddies that were. They told me as you explained that Howard was playing super aggressive going allin frequently. They said also said that your call with 66 was marginal at best. I told them then they were crazy and your call was most definitely correct and I couldn't agree more with your call and reasoning Annie.

Heads up 66 will be a favorite over most randon hands. In a winner take all situation if you don't call here you might as well just forfeit and go home.

KC

P.S. You also have a remarkable resemblence to my ex-wife. She's a hottie too!

Congrats on your big win!!!
Old 09-27-2004, 03:08 AM

Annie,

You don't know me. I don't know you. I've met your brother. In fact I played in a tournament at his house on this past New Years eve. I fiinished fourth and he didn't even make the final table. How good am I! Oh, I'm in love with your sister-in-law ,Susie - have been for years but don't tell her. Doesn't matter she already knows.

Anyway, this post is about perception. The moment that ESPN chose the field for a 2 million dollar winner take all tournament that included friends like Chip Reese and Doyle Brunson and a brother and sister, they opened up a flood of questioning. What were they thinking? They take a game, poker, that already has a huge cloud of suspicion attached to it and then design an event that is ripe for collusion. $2 mil - One winner! 2 million dollars may not be a lot of money to you, I don't know, but it is a great deal of money to the vast majority if not all of the viewers of the event.

Most that watched will wonder, rightfully so I'm afraid, if a brother and sister as close as you and Howard appear to be would not do something for the other one if they won. I know that I would for my sister.

I know Greg Raymer very well. He told me that there were no deals. I believe and trust that guy. I don't believe that their were any deals made but among the poker players I've talked to the feeling is that some, not all, of the participants had agreemenys with one another. It doesn't matter whether any of you made deals or not. There will always be those that believe that you did. So the best thing may be to just forget about the snide remarks and go win some more events.

Oh, did I say congradulations. I meant to. So congradulations. And please tell Susie I miss her whenever I go to Bellagio's

Vince Lepore [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2004, 03:29 AM

Top pros are not about to ANGLE shoot on TV, that's beyond stupid.

Common sense? ....for many reasons....

>TW<
Old 09-27-2004, 03:52 AM

First off you are referring to the hand where he had 9-8 offsuit. He pushed all-in and was called when he had 10-9 offsuit in the SB against Annie's 88. Greg has stated that he was getting almost 3 to 1 pot odds on the call and since he thought (and was correct) that he was a little worse than a 3 to 2 underdog, he had to call. Greg's strategy was to never fold a pot odds edge. It would be a different situation in your home cash game since the number of hands someone would reraise allin with would be smaller and there would be a much greater chance of the opponent having a pair nines or higher. It would still probably be correct to call in the long run.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:40 AM

What fundamental advantage would dumping afford them?