Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Ann Coulter on Hannity & Colmes

[ QUOTE ]
Actually most moderates are fiscal conservatives and social liberals, its pretty common, only about 50% of the country consideres themselves to belong to one party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like you are closer to being a libertarian than you think.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:56 PM

??????? How does making a statement about the majority of americans reflect my views?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:21 PM

I never look to Ann Coulter for anything of substance. She's okay (not great by any means!) for sarcasm, but sarcasm gets really old, really fast. Give me William F. Buckley over Ann Coulter any day of the week!!!
Old 07-28-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never trust liberals to get things right (the first time), so I went to look it up ...

From Wikipedia, re: Ann Coulter -

Further detail about Canada's involvement in the Vietnam war can be found in the CBC's "Canada's Secret War: Vietnam". Here

See also Canada and the Vietnam War in Wikipedia.

[ QUOTE ]
The interviewer Bob McKeown countered, "No, actually, Canada didn't send troops to Vietnam." Coulter and McKeown then politely contradicted each other repeatedly before Coulter finally concluded, "Well, I'll get back to you on that."

Later in the show, McKeown stated that Coulter never did get back in touch with The Fifth Estate, and reiterated the filmmakers' position that Canada had not sent troops to Vietnam.

In a subsequent interview on C-SPAN, Coulter admitted that she had erred, but also stated that thousands of Canadian-born Americans had gone to battle:

"Yes, 10,000 Canadian troops, at least. [...] The Canadian Government didn't send troops [ ... ] [ but ] they came and fought with the Americans. So I was wrong. It turns out there were 10,000 Americans who happened to be born in Canada."

Later in the interview, when asked about the taping of the CBC show, she added:

"I talked to him [ interviewer Bob McKeown ] for three hours and the topic was not Canada's war history. It was an incidental point that he challenged me on and I didn't believe him because I had read about Canadian troops in Vietnam. I was right. People keep saying 'well, he didn't tell you that they - 10,000 troops - ran across to sign up with the Americans' because I don't think he knew."

More recently, a Time Magazine article on Coulter dated April 25, 2005, stated "Canada did send noncombat troops to Indochina in the 1950s and again to Vietnam in 1972."

[/ QUOTE ]

And remember that if you or any of your liberal friends know that any of this is false, you can go to Wikipedia and correct it -- just be prepared to prove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a whole debate here on this - her whole point revolved around Canada backing the U.S. with their armed forces, which they clearly did not do in 'Nam.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I never trust liberals to get things right (the first time), so I went to look it up ...

From Wikipedia, re: Ann Coulter -

Further detail about Canada's involvement in the Vietnam war can be found in the CBC's "Canada's Secret War: Vietnam". Here

See also Canada and the Vietnam War in Wikipedia.

[ QUOTE ]
The interviewer Bob McKeown countered, "No, actually, Canada didn't send troops to Vietnam." Coulter and McKeown then politely contradicted each other repeatedly before Coulter finally concluded, "Well, I'll get back to you on that."

Later in the show, McKeown stated that Coulter never did get back in touch with The Fifth Estate, and reiterated the filmmakers' position that Canada had not sent troops to Vietnam.

In a subsequent interview on C-SPAN, Coulter admitted that she had erred, but also stated that thousands of Canadian-born Americans had gone to battle:

"Yes, 10,000 Canadian troops, at least. [...] The Canadian Government didn't send troops [ ... ] [ but ] they came and fought with the Americans. So I was wrong. It turns out there were 10,000 Americans who happened to be born in Canada."

Later in the interview, when asked about the taping of the CBC show, she added:

"I talked to him [ interviewer Bob McKeown ] for three hours and the topic was not Canada's war history. It was an incidental point that he challenged me on and I didn't believe him because I had read about Canadian troops in Vietnam. I was right. People keep saying 'well, he didn't tell you that they - 10,000 troops - ran across to sign up with the Americans' because I don't think he knew."

More recently, a Time Magazine article on Coulter dated April 25, 2005, stated "Canada did send noncombat troops to Indochina in the 1950s and again to Vietnam in 1972."

[/ QUOTE ]

And remember that if you or any of your liberal friends know that any of this is false, you can go to Wikipedia and correct it -- just be prepared to prove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you reply

[ QUOTE ]
There was a whole debate here on this - her whole point revolved around Canada backing the U.S. with their armed forces, which they clearly did not do in 'Nam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. There was a whole debate?

What she said was -

[ QUOTE ]
"Canada used to be one of our most loyal friends and vice-versa. I mean Canada sent troops to Vietnam - was Vietnam less containable and more of a threat than Saddam Hussein?" -- Ann Coulter to Bob McKeown

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael Moore was kind enough to provide a link to the video.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 PM

This is so incredibly obvious - when you say a nation sends troops somewhere, it doesn't mean troops from their country went, it means THEIR COUNTRY ACTIVELY SENT TROOPS.

"Did you tell Michael to go to the store?"
"Yes."
"Did you remember to tell him to get milk?"
"Oh, no. He went by himself, I didn't tell him to go."

Do you see the absurdity in this made up conversation?
Not to mention it's in defense of an absolutely ludicrous point - Coulter would surely later claim that Vietnam was an equal threat to Iraq if it suited her.

I think someday I'll want these five minutes back.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:56 PM

Haha, see liberals are pure amusement, I'm glad conservatives are getting laughs from their posts.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:00 AM

No one saw Kennedy arrive back at the Shiretown Inn in wet clothes. Ross Richards, who had a conversation with Kennedy the following morning at the hotel described him as casual and at ease. Kennedy even complained about a noisy party during the night.

Kennedy did not inform the police of the accident while he was at the hotel. Instead at 9am he joined two flunkies (Gargan and Markham) on the ferry back to Chappaquiddick. Steve Ewing, the ferry operator, reported Kennedy in a jovial mood. It was only when Kennedy reached the island that he phoned the authorities about the accident that had taken place the previous night.

A likely scenario is that Kennedy stopped the car and got out after spotting a law officer behind them. He told Kopechne to drive home alone after hiding from the officer. Mary Jo took off and, not even aware of the bridge, drove off of it. Kennedy was not aware she had an accident until the next morning.

Having said all this, I hold Kennedy responsible for the woman's death. He was treated with kid gloves by the police; the "inquiry" was a disgrace. Kennedy's statement that you cite is complete hogwash.
It was in the morning that he found out the woman did not make it back. He then went to the bridge, dove in to see what was what, came back all wet and made up the rest of the story.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Anne Calls a Spade a Spade.

Kopehcne's parents forbade an autopsy. The evidence indeed supports the conclusion that Kopechne survived the accident.

Kennedy's actions, however, seem that of a man who had left the car before the accident (also, he was not wet when he first got back) and therefore didn't know about it. When he found out about it, he would have had to make something up about why he had left with her but wasn't with her when she had the accident. Better to claim he was heroic in trying to save her.

His actions in any event were that of a scumbag.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:06 AM

I agree that Kennedy got a slap on the wrist and deserved jail. If the police who first interviewed O.J. Simpson treated him with kid gloves, they treated Kennedy with nothing. I still think the evidence leans in the direction of him not having been in the car when it went off the bridge. His story that you and Dynasty have quoted is a fairy tale.