Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Taking a break from Poker, what to do with Money?

Well God is omniscient and omnipotent so I'm pretty sure can use the phone. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't sweat the roaming charges. If he cares what you do with the money he'll call you up and tell you. If you don't hear from him, he obviously doesn't care, so do what you will with it.

--Zetack

Obviously I'm kidding, being omnipotent he doesn't have to use the phone...he could send you a note by courier angel.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:49 AM

Having that much money at a young age is something wonderful. Although I'm of age, I'm still in HS (18). All I gotta say is...LEXUS.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:01 AM

Well according to Romans 13:1-4,

1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer
Old 06-02-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well according to Romans 13:1-4,

1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer

[/ QUOTE ]

Before you go quoting the bible, I have to ask: how confident are you that it actually represents God's will?

Personally I'd expect God to be a better writer. Of if you are pretty confident that its at least revealed truth...well have you ever played a game of telephone?

--Zetack (is it getting toasty in here?)
Old 06-02-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For Christians:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Christian, so here goes...

[ QUOTE ]
Do you consider this money tainted? It was earned while I was breaking the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough question. Even if you believe that there is nothing immoral about poker, there was wrong was in breaking the law. (Romans 13: 1-7)

[ QUOTE ]
If so, what should be done?

[/ QUOTE ]

The story that comes to mind is that of Zacheus (Luke 19). He gave half his ill-gotten gains to the poor and repaid four-fold anyone he'd cheated (don't think that applies). What would you lose by treating the money as tainted? Only the money.

I got mad respect for your decision. Don't let the "Jesus-haters" get ya down.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Capitalism in general is incompatable with Christianity. Usury, predatory business practices, greed, are all "sins". The fact that the right wing of this country has tried to meld capitalism with Christianity doesn't change this fact.

Jesus was a communist.

"You should be worried about your eternal soul, not your EV.

By preying on those of weaker mind and spirit to gain riches, you are betraying the teachings of Jesus Christ."

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this actually a quote out of the bible or just an interpertation? If it's a direct quote then I am glad I don't call myself a christian.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Capitalism in general is incompatable with Christianity. Usury, predatory business practices, greed, are all "sins". The fact that the right wing of this country has tried to meld capitalism with Christianity doesn't change this fact.

Jesus was a communist.

"You should be worried about your eternal soul, not your EV.

By preying on those of weaker mind and spirit to gain riches, you are betraying the teachings of Jesus Christ."

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this actually a quote out of the bible or just an interpertation? If it's a direct quote then I am glad I don't call myself a christian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Capitalism was founded in Christianity. The foudning fathers of the US where Christians, Puritans to be exact. They believed that people where born damned or saved, and the only way to know what you where was to look at how much good fortune you have had.

So they took it upon themselves to compete and accumulate wealth to appear saved. So while this is clearly not a popular interpretation of Christianily anymore, you cant say that they are completely incompatable.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:03 AM

There is no god, there is only you
Old 06-02-2005, 03:06 AM

I also want to say that I really respect your decision, and I'm far from a practicing Christian...

In fact, a big reason why I stopped attending church was that I felt the people there used it as a social outlet, and only cared about what the bible said when it coincided with what they wanted (I'm pretty sure there's stuff in the good book advising against materialism, yet ever notice how many Lexus's there are in some church parking lots?)

Anyway, here's what I have to say, if you really believe in what the bible says, then you have to give up the $... and I think the best way you can do it is to try and do some good with it...

sure, you'll lose a nice chunk of change, but if nothing else, you'll have gained the respect of at least one person who's impressed by your faith and willingness to sacrifice for what you believe in...

As for the morality of gambling, I'm pretty sure the bible would disagree with it... You say you study the game, and play +EV, but wouldn't that mean you're just taking advantage of those who don't know as much as you do?

You're profiting at someone else's expense... and you're 17, it's not like you need the $$...

anyway, that's my $0.02...
Old 06-02-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gambling law is very specific on this. It does not matter where the site is. What matters is where you sit while engaging in the activity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have my doubts about your statement.

Can you cite the applicable law please. That shouldn't be to difficult in this internet age.

Thanks in advance

Stu