Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: tells

Here is a real answer. I listed quite a few common ones I found.
http://www.texasholdempoker-stats.com/thp_tells.html
Old 09-06-2005, 12:29 PM

I'd like to follow up on my previous post where I said that
older players never check-raise, i.e. checking is almost always a sign of weakness in older players. This is "politically incorrect" and you will never see it in any book on tells. Has
anyone else noticed such tells, based on age,gender, physical appearance. etc.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:52 PM

I'm pretty new to live poker, but the most reliable, universal tell I've picked up is when the flop comes down all the same suit. If a player looks at his cards again, he does not already have the flush and is checking to see if he has a card that matches the suit on the board. For this reason, I always make sure to remember the suits of any offsuit holding I've got so I don't give up this tell myself.

I've found that this is similar with all kinds of draws. If a loose, passive opponent has been calling you down, the river puts three to a straight on the board, and your opponent checks his cards after the river, your top pair is probably still good. Be careful though, as I figure this tell is really only applicable to small stakes games.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the river puts three to a straight on the board, and your opponent checks his cards after the river, your top pair is probably still good

[/ QUOTE ]

If a weak opponent has made her straight, she will check her cards again to a) make sure she actually has it before betting/raising; or b) take a moment to admire her monster hand, because they just don't come around as often as they used to.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:30 PM

Most of the tells I've seen live have already been stated, but here's one I've run into recently. I've gone to some places recently where there have been TVs, and especially if you play in a Saturday game now that college football has started up again, people will watch TV directly proportional to the strength of their hand. This has made me so much money the past two weeks on 50/50 calls with hands like JJ and 10-10 with overcards on board.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the river puts three to a straight on the board, and your opponent checks his cards after the river, your top pair is probably still good

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, top pair is still good! Feel free to put all your chips in the pot so I can call you down with my straight!!

God I love when people fall for that.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, top pair is still good! Feel free to put all your chips in the pot so I can call you down with my straight!!

God I love when people fall for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'd put all my money in the middle with a marginal hand all because of a tell and I advise you to as well! Wait, I don't remember saying that until this very post.

God, I love it when people put words in my mouth.

The tell has been good in my limited experience, but after two people have called me on it I guess I should reconsider. There were a couple of regulars in my game that this tell was very reliable for, but as with many facets of poker it must depend on who you're playing against.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:31 PM

I didn't mean to sound like a dick.

I will, depending on the situation and how volitile the other players are, will check my nuts.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty new to live poker, but the most reliable, universal tell I've picked up is when the flop comes down all the same suit. If a player looks at his cards again, he does not already have the flush and is checking to see if he has a card that matches the suit on the board. For this reason, I always make sure to remember the suits of any offsuit holding I've got so I don't give up this tell myself.

I've found that this is similar with all kinds of draws. If a loose, passive opponent has been calling you down, the river puts three to a straight on the board, and your opponent checks his cards after the river, your top pair is probably still good. Be careful though, as I figure this tell is really only applicable to small stakes games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this all the time with a monster - ie if I flop quads, a boat, nut flush - just to through people off. Doesn't matter the stakes. So, again, be careful.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:44 PM

The most accurate tell i use on my friends with high accuracy is if it's my turn, regardless if I am about to put a bet in or call their bet if I look down at my chips and I toy with them as if I am about to do something like call or bet, then glance up slightly as to not let them know I am trying to read them. If their eyes are locked on to my chips and they have an excited or even interested look on their face it translates in to them thinking that the chips in my hands will soon be theirs, they are rooting for a call or a bet.