Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Tight Passive the Way to Go?????

[ QUOTE ]
What situation do your numbers go down to 10%/3%? Is it only if you sit at a table with a bunch of seasoned LAGs?

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, yes... If I feel I'm an average skilled player at the table and it's very aggressive, I'll at least start the session very, very TAG.

usually when the game is full of aggros (tight or loose), I'll screw down real tight. This way, I'm not making a bunch of mistakes in marginal situations postflop against decent players (especially out of position), and it seems that most of my profit comes when I play very tightly for a while, then switch it up for a couple orbits (with some reraises perflop and positional raises) - then screw down again. This way, my bluffing equity is usually very high, and I can buy the pots on the flop more than usual. Also, the reraise bluff preflop wins the pot right there if you are playing tight (so you have to reraise w/ your low suited connectors, or other random hands that could hit the flop if you do get called).

[ QUOTE ]
Do you respond to loose passive players by tightening up

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is where I play very LAG / TAG. If they are super loose passive, I'll play super loose passive as well before the flop, then turn into a TAG postflop.

Hope that makes sense...
Old 05-10-2005, 05:51 PM

Aswesome, thanks for the reply!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you respond to loose passive players by tightening up

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is where I play very LAG / TAG. If they are super loose passive, I'll play super loose passive as well before the flop, then turn into a TAG postflop.

Hope that makes sense...

[/ QUOTE ]

So the idea is limp along with them before the flop with all kinds of trash (like unsuited connectors, suited 1 gaps, suited Ace, low PP early, etc...), even in mediocre position, figuring you won't be raised and if you flop any worthy hand they'll pay off, so coming in with trash is worth it?

But then you have to cut back on the semi-bluffs I assume? My experience on the low tables is if you raise pre-flop most players turn scared-semi-loose-passive, so you can still sometimes semibluff, but you can't knock them off mid pair all the time. Is this an argument for limping AKo and assuming when they keep calling post-flop that they have TPMK or something else you beat, as long as the board's not monotone or whatever? I feel if you posted an AK hand where you had TPTK and someone was calling along for the ride people would say you're beat and should think about check/folding. That's a huge mistake in this case, no?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so coming in with trash is worth it?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a very passive game where you understand how the other players play, then yes - all hands you stated from any position is fine. I've found this play at 2/4 tables and below for the most part.

[ QUOTE ]
But then you have to cut back on the semi-bluffs I assume?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct - If I bet on the flop w/ a draw, I'll probably have position, and I'll be doing it to build a pot for the times that I do hit (so I can get more money in the pot on the street that I hit). At those tables, I'm usually not assuming the bluff will win the pot right there. If someone bets small into me and I think they'll call the raise as well, I'll just call with a draw. I'm a sucker for good odds...

[ QUOTE ]
Is this an argument for limping AKo and assuming when they keep calling post-flop that they have TPMK or something else you beat, as long as the board's not monotone or whatever? I feel if you posted an AK hand where you had TPTK and someone was calling along for the ride people would say you're beat and should think about check/folding. That's a huge mistake in this case, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - that's a huge mistake. There are times against certain players that you can be certain that they have a decent ace they cannot fold, hence value bet the crap out of them. I love limping AK / AQ in these types of games as well, cause they never put you on that hand. You really have to be able to get out of there to excessive action though. I probably don't limp those hands too often anymore, but I for sure do it occasionally and used to do it a lot when I was learning the lower limits.