Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 06:56 AM

Default Re: How do you feel about people outright asking you for money?

Loans and gambling are a bad mix. If you ever loan people money you have to be serious about any money above an amount that you can write off. I wouldn't lend any gambler money unless I got some form of collateral and I would never loan a degenerate anything as he would just piss it away and would never pay you back either.....
Old 09-16-2005, 12:37 AM

I hate it.

I really do.... its like... we are in a room and we are gambling.... and now you are asking me for money to gamble??

How about this one??

Its like I gamble for a living and you call me a degenerate and now you are asking me if you could borrow money?

Come on....

I can't lend you money....... Im the idiot remember.

:-)

In all honesty though I loan everyone money. I really don't care... if you need it take it...
Old 09-16-2005, 10:04 AM

LOL, reading the thread I was like "man, no way would I loan friends/family money, I know better already"

And then I just remembered my bro in law has owed me $200 for about half a year now...

I'm an idiot
Old 09-16-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Better rethink your position on loans. There is no higher risk loan than that to a friend or a family member. Especially if they see you as somebody who has plenty of money. They will expect you to let them slide at a moments notice, or even forgive the loan (because you're so much better off than them).

If it is somebody you love, give them the money, don't lend it. That way, you won't feel bad when they don't pay you back, and it won't ruin the friendship/relationship. If you choose to lend money, make sure it is in a spot where you will sue them, foreclose on their collateral, whatever, the same as you would if they were a stranger, and you were a public lender. If you can't do that to them, do not make the loan.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

In my poker career theres been times where id literally loan my mom tons of cash. she always pays it back w/ interest if i ask, which i normally dont.

my family is kinda weird and during an impossible divorce she was always there, if she didn't have a dime to her name she'd find a way to get me 2grand to take summer classes or a few hundred here or there if i ever really needed books or food or whatever before i learned to play poker.

now she's back on her feet and is net worth doing very well in real estate. my brother is an expense for her and both of them know my situation. im teaching my brother the value of a dollar to the best of my ability and ive loaned my mom enough currently to live off of for a bit and pay devin's school until she receives the commission from the houses she's already closed.

these kinds of situations i think are different b/c of the level of trust and love within the circle.

on the flip side, my BEST FRIEND from college knows i play and paid my way via poker. he asked me to loan him 2grand. i said, "no XXXXX, i just love you too much to do that." different kind of love b/c there was a definate chance he wouldn't repay me and i didn't want to have to ever nag for the money etc and have it be something between us. i loved him too much to sacrifice his friendship for 2k. we're still best friends

other friends have said to me "hey, why can't you just give me a few hundred??" i stone cold just said, "no." i will, however, turn right around and pick up all checks for my friends and usually pay for drinks if they let me which for the most part they dont. girls are just not allowed to pay on dates as it should be. even girls that are my friends. i'll gladly take care of those i trust and love and care for but i will never flat out give people money.

im perfectly happy with this situation and feel blessed to be where i am. Im sure you do as well greg, and more power to ya.

Barron
Old 09-17-2005, 12:16 AM

I think that's bizarre if they're actually being serious. My friends joke a lot when they see me play "d0od hook me up if youre making that much, youll just make more" but they arent really seriously asking. I'd get some new friends or something.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:49 PM

would that 1M get the crap taxed out of it... gifts of 10K get taxed at what? something crazy no doubt.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:35 AM

actually, the way you just described them asking sounds like my friends. You don't interpret this as them pretty much putting out a feeler bet to test the waters and that you have to raise this semi bluff by saying "No"?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:32 PM

Haha yea I kind of thought it sounded like that when I wrote it. I'm trying to imagine cashing out, getting a cash checked, and handing them the money saying "Here. Have it." I honestly don't know if theyd take it.

I forgot about it when reading this, but girls I'm dating or half dating (call it what you will) are the ones that most often say "Are you kidding me? Give me some money!"

I know they'd take it.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:00 AM

Now theres one thing i'd never do.. tell a girl I have alot of money. Lord no.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:24 PM

Worst "I win oodles of money at poker" thread EVER.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]