Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Re: 1 year as an underage player

just dont waiste your college life sitting in a dorm all day playing poker.
I would be ballin out of control with that kind of money.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:08 AM

Nice run. How did you get parents to relax the two hour max limit?
Old 06-26-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Our situations are very alike. I began playing last summer when I was 17 with a $50 deposit on Party. After over a year of .50/1, 1/2, 2/4, and 3/6, I now find myself playing 5/10 6max. My total winnings including bonuses and rakeback are just shy of 30k. I moved up slowly and comfortably, with a huge padded bankroll ready for the next limit and never really taking any big shots at higher limits. I really enjoy doing this for my primary source of income, and I enjoy very much as well. I have been able to buy so many sweet things I never would have been able to afford working a normal high schooler's job. I think I have done well to keep my social life in balance with playing, and hope to continue to do so next year at the University of Illinois. I graduated 1 in my high school class, and have kept the same girlfriend (who totally supports me) over more than a year. My life has totally changed because of this game, yet I have still been able to experience the typical high schooler's life.

I guess I'm just trying to say that your experiences mimic mine and I wish you luck in your future endeavors, as they will likely be similar to mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats awesome man, that really sounds just like me except your a much better student. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The girl i mentioned in the original post will be going to college very close to me, so we are going to have to see how all that works itself out. On the whole though, i'm very excited about college and wish you luck in you academic career as well as your poker one.

Gabe
Old 06-26-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to be like you, lol. I'm not quite as far as you, though. I'm spending my poker time right now grinding out 2/4 and 3/6 and trying to rebuild my bankroll a little to take another attempt at the 5/10 6max game. I gave it a $1,500 attempt before but was running really bad at the time and lost that in about 2k hands. I have only made around 6-7k from poker so far and have cashed a lot out, but watch out for me in that 5/10 game.

I hope I can make a post like yours soon. Good times and well done, man.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope to see a post like this from you soon. If you don't mind a little advice, take a little extra time grinding it out at 2-4 and 3-6 so when you take your next shot at 5-10, so have a healthy roll, say 4-5k. Personally i didn't start playing that game before i had 10k, and i really think it's a better situation if you have a healhy roll so you can decide if you like the game better or worse then your old stakes. Obviously do what you want, i'd just like to offer you the benefit of my experience. Good luck regardless,

Gabe
Old 06-26-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for sharing. This is a great post, and I think a lot of people could learn a lot just by seeing the relationship you have with your parents. I'm sure that played a large part in your success. I wonder how your results would have been affected if you had to sneak around behind your parents' backs to log hours.

Like another poster said, college will probably be the greatest four years of your life. Although you don't want to spend every aching hour in front of the computer, your poker skills will hopefully keep you from having to take a part-time job in the dining hall. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You've come a very long way in just a year. Keep up the great work, and please continue posting.

[/ QUOTE ]

My relationship with my parents is definitly a large part of my sucess, and i think the reason it works so well is that we try to see things from each others perspective. Since parents have the final say on anything if you aren't 18, it's tough because some people just get stuck with unreasonable parents who won't try to think about the situation at all. However, i am very fortunate to have my parents and that is why i am where i am now.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:34 AM

The don't give me a hard time about it largely because i kepy my grades up, my social life is good, and i'm all set with going to college. However, i really don't play much more then 2 hours day anyway, i have only played 52 hours through the first 25 days of this month. (Doesn't count MTT's from time to time)
Old 06-26-2005, 12:45 PM

Your post is inspiring to me... I graduated from high school about a month and a half ago and about two weeks ago I deposited $35 into a PokerRoom account. I play mostly $25 NL and $5/$10/$20 SnG's and my account balance is at an even $235.00 right now with $190.00 in checks on the way (my parents are cool with the checks cuz I told them I won the initial $35 in a freeroll). My bankroll fluctuated consistently, and at one point I was back down to $54. At this point, my gambling addiction took over and I put it all into a $50+4 sit and go, knowing that if I lost I would still be up $75 from a check I had on the way. Anyway, I ended up winning the SnG along with $200 profit. I hope someday I can get over the 1K mark and play some higher limits like you brotha, good luck man.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:55 PM

The most impressive part of your original post is NOT being one of these kids who makes a lot of money and thinks they are going pro...please keep your head on straight and keep winning.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:02 PM

You four years as an undergraduate in college will likely be the best years of your life. It was for me.

So, a little unsolicited advice: allow poker to suppliment these four (or more) years. Keep yr grades up (study), but enjoy life, friends and girls (or guys if that is yr thing). Play poker, but like biloxi said, don't stay in yr dorm all the time playing.

EDIT: congrats on yr success.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:27 PM

To me it looks like you're most likely going to play too high again, go on a downswing and swear not to do it again. Take that for what it's worth.