Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Running poorly, concept check!

[ QUOTE ]
Ax probably has 3 outs against u (probably 2 if someone else holds Ax), in a small pot why do u care about getting them out so much when they are drawing thin and could make unprofitable calls against u. Gutshots as well.

they are getting 5:1 if u lead the flop. 1-2 callers I imagine at best...so the pot would be 6-7:1. they need to make up 2bbs (with one caller and hero to make up 2.5bbs). Its a little easier w/ three in on the turn (including the Hero) inwhich case 2bbs are needed.

Either way not leading out and hoping in gets bet IN LATE POSITION by a looose-p donks seems like a great plan and risk it getting checked through.

Its a small pot, there is no need for a checkraise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are acting like middle pair is obviously the best hand in a 5 way pot.

Checking and raising the button isn't our definite plan, it's adapting to the situation. When I flop this hand, I'm checking to see what the action is before I really make a plan.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:10 AM

Put me firmly in Dongerīs camp. Some people seem to take for granted your hand is best at the flop. What do we have, 2nd pair with a medium kicker. This is no monster against 4 other players... Checking gives you the option of folding if there is a bet and a raise. So we can save a lot if we are behind. I dont think betting out is going to protect your hand very well even if we are ahead. Its only one SB and many players will call with a gutshot or ace + other weak draw anyway without making too big of a mistake...
In the best-case scenario it goes exactly like here and we can check-raise.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:39 AM

I can't believe how many people think there's a significant chance this would be checked through on the flop. I think the chance of that occurring on a typical six-max table is less than 5%.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much of a downswing starts to become uncommon in short-handed? Just want to prepare myself...

[/ QUOTE ]
It really depends on your win rate.

For me, I have downswings of -75BB pretty routinely. More than that is uncommon. The worst I have had at 5/10 6 max is a about -175BB (120K hands total), but I know part of that was bad play. I also had a 10k hands breakeven stretch, and I have a good win rate.

If you are a 1BB/100 winner or worse, you will see much more severe downswings. -200BB would not be that unusual. At 10/20 where I don't know if I'm a winner, I endure swings this severe often.

The 6 max swings are a bit worse than full games, but the difference is often exaggerated.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:29 AM

With all due respect, these are poker basics, and the posters who suggest betting this are wrong. A check raise is far the far superior play. Maybe a re-read of HEFAP is in order, because I think that a situation very similar to this is discussed.

First, realize that .71 is not that passive for a player whose VPIP is 61, so you can expect somebody to bet this flop.

Second, it's precisely because your 2d pair weakish kicker is a marginal hand that the check raise is superior. It allows you to bail if there's a lot of action and may provide you with the opportunity to knock out those gutshots and overcards that you want to get rid of WHICH A BET OUT CAN'T DO.

From there, though, check/calling is not the way to go. Button could've bet with anything so you keep the heat on. If he calls the turn bet then a check call may be in order, but against a player with those stats I probably bet the river too if no scare cards hit.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:40 AM

Good post, agree 100%