Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: How to play the bubble (or not to play the bubble)

jcm4ccc,

I'm curious, have you thought about doing an ICM analysis from villain's point of view?
Old 02-14-2005, 06:20 PM

I usually would just min raise, they are too scared to come over the top with nothing, yet you dont lose all your stupid chips when they do happen to have something. If someone has the courage to raise allin on a bluff when there is a guy with 1k chips, then congratulations to them.
All in all it won't affect your stealing percentage that much to raise less than allin, and you don't have to risk all your chips when it happens.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:22 PM

By the way its also an extremely easy call with AK, I have no clue why you decided to harrass them? It's not like the shortstack has 20 chips or anything here.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:24 PM

Really people need to stop allin'ing or folding. A min raise here does the trick nearly as often as an allin, yet you arent risking all your chips with 62o.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:03 PM

My bread and butter is people who think this way. I will reraise SO much more here than call a push. As BB I will be reraising you with any suited ace and any pair, for example, whereas I would certainly fold A6s and down and 44 and down (and probably other hands) to a push.

Allin as the big stack is better, but I wouldn't be playing the any-two-push game here at all, as the short stack is not short enough and your advantage over the other stacks is too slight.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:09 PM

Let me remind you that most players arent you. I probably wouldnt raise this hand to begin with, but based on my findings, people fold enough when min raising, where it's not usually worth it go allin in these situations with total garbage.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:42 PM

Well, a min-raise might not work on you, but it still might be +$EV.

Reraising the min-raise might get you trapped against an opponant who has a good read on you, but it could still be +$EV.

Not saying either line is good or bad, but just because curtain's line might not be good against you doesn't mean it doesn't work overall.

Personally, in this situation I fold, but barring that I push and follow the 10BB rule 95% of the time. But, I will min-raise occassionally as either a trap or as a real raise, depending on the table, my opponants, my table image, and the cards. But, I often only play 1 table so I can get pretty good reads.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:46 PM

hey, it looks like I was copying you, but I didn't see your post.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:09 PM

Somebody said here, play as your opponents will act not as they should. Bad push, you could get called by a-c.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter

Hero (t2870)
SB (t2200)
BB (t1880)
UTG (t1050)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Preflop: BB is dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Flop: (t4750) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG folds, Hero pushes, SB folds, BB calls

Turn: (t4750) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

River: (t4750) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

Final Pot: t4750

Scuba Chuck: "stupid call"
Scuba Chuck: "welcome to 4th place buddy"
Villain: "bs"
Villain: "you're all-in every hand"
Villain: "how's calling with ak stupid"
Scuba_Chuck: "because ur in 4th place"

There was a lot more railbirding following this, but I think you get the picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. I'm guessing you pushed preflop, but the action is listed after the flop? If you pushed preflop, I'm not sure I'd say the BB is an idiot for calling, especially if you've been pushing a lot. In fact, give him some credit for his read, he got all in as a 66/34 favorite to win the hand. I don't have pokerstove handy, but AKo is pretty good against a random hand.