Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: 12 to 16 tables.

an interesting post. i either play 12 to 16 tables (a 30" monitor and a 24" off one machine), or only 2 tables. if i am multi tabling i play much lower, if i only play 2 tables, i play at the highest stakes. when i am multi tabling i know i am losing a lot, there is no way to watch the players the way you can on 1 or 2 tables. however, i am seeing more then 8,000 hands in one day, therefore, i pick up more big pots. when i begun adding one extra table, each table was somewhat difficult. as you add each there is an acclimation period, and i had to add them slowly. i make good money at the 1 or 2 tables of the high stakes games, i make great money at the 12 to 16 tables. when i am multi-tabling i know i am playing weak tight, but that is offset by the numbers of hands i play despite the loss of value. i also use pokertracker with game time displaying the stats overlayed on the tables -- but i am still losing a lot, and still weak tight. at nl because of the pace it is easier then limit (i play both, just not at the same time). and some sites are easier, like the party and skins, which allow a player so much time to act, as opposed to a site like fulltilt which forces players to act quickly.

1. Difficulty of analysis at the table
yes, however, i pick up more information then i initially expected, but no where near 1 or 2 tables.

2. Relatively high bankroll requirements
(in relation to win-rate per table)
not really an issue. and if you are a winning player the money comes. although i probably have more money sitting at more sites then almost anyone i know. i also make more each day then any other player i know. an interesting observation though is that in multi-tabling, especially at nl playing weak tight, the bankroll needed is smaller, you almost never have a losing day.

3. Difficult to IMPROVE 'player-playing' ability, as opposed to 'card-playing' ability - when games get tougher will the skills to adapt be there?
yes. this is why i play both 1 to 2 tables of high stakes games a few times a week, when know i can make more on 12 to 16 tables.

4. Stress caused by speed of response required must be mentally draining
not very much if at all.

5. ABC nature of play required
to some degree. however, you concentrate on the wilder games more while you play, and therefore, play "better" at some tables then others. and when you see a player take a few shots at your weak tight play, you watch that game more too. but yes, to some degree.

6. Game / seat selection may suffer at the desire to play the required number of tables
when i multi-table i try to play the highest average games, and you get to know so many players, that several of your games are very juicy.

7. Boredom - to me, it seems like the multi-tablers existence is grim, almost like being on a treadmill.
both are fun most days.

How many hours do you guys play and how much do you clear?
depends on how i feel. i own a business, but was sick and stuck home for a while. some days i play 3 4 hour sessions. i make a huge amount, without giving you an exact figure, well more then double a friend who is a prominent neurosurgeon.

Would you enjoy the game more if you only played one table?
somedays i do, and i chage back.

Could you make the same amount of money, playing less hours, on one table with better game / seat selection and a smaller bankroll? How would this affect the rest of your non-poker playing day?
no, i have seen the return on both, and while the return on the 1 or 2 tables is good, it just can not compare. as for the rest of my day, my life is too full. lately i have less time to play, because i have other obligations, and other things i enjoy. plus the cushion of a very significant amount of money put away because of the success of multi-tabling.

When I play against the multi-tablers I usually feel as though I know where I am in a hand with them, and take quite a bit of money from them, as I'm sure I can read them better than they can read me.
i am certain that this is true. however, as you notice someone doing that you concentrate on that player a little more, and try to "put him in his place" as they tend to get out of line. and the more you play, the more you find your mind can incorporate more and more information. but again, you are correct. multi-tabling i think i make most of my money off the weak players. with so many weak players in almost every game, and with my seeing so many hands, this more then offsets the amount lost to the observant good player.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: 12 to 16 tables.

the only one i wrote about, but i can check.