Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Benching your own weight once

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
There is absolutely no way Lance Armstrong can dunk a basketball. Percentage wise, almost no one under six feet tall can dunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you freaking kidding me? I'd put money of Armstrong being able to throw it down with 2 hands. No way someone with legs that powerful can't get up.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say it's incredibly difficult, but I think it's one of those things that signifies how in shape you are. Someone once sent me a list of 10 things that meant you were in great shape, but the only other one I can remember is dunking a basketball.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great news for me...

I'm 6 1/2 feet tall, weigh 210lbs, and I can probably bench press about 90lbs (sorry, but this is not a brag post, no matter what you say). Unathletic? nay, I can dunk, like 180s and [censored] too. And this whole time I thought I was pathetically and hopelessly out of shape.

In seriousness though, I should start lifting, but if I put on weight, I may not be able to dunk anymore...
Old 09-09-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is absolutely no way Lance Armstrong can dunk a basketball. Percentage wise, almost no one under six feet tall can dunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Untrue. I've seen powerlifters shorter than 6' dunk.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you freaking kidding me? I'd put money of Armstrong being able to throw it down with 2 hands. No way someone with legs that powerful can't get up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this at first, but I think that jumping require something different than just power. I have very powerful legs, but I cant jump worth [censored] for some reason.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:34 AM

I think you guys are exaggerating. for someone who's never benched anything before, it can take a hell of a lot longer than 3 months to bench your body weight.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you guys are exaggerating. for someone who's never benched anything before, it can take a hell of a lot longer than 3 months to bench your body weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's exaggerating at all. It shouldn't take long. This is fairly easy.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's exaggerating at all. It shouldn't take long. This is fairly easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake is correct. A month or so in, unless you are a giant vag, you should be benching your body weight.

two times your body weight is some serious lifting. 1.5 times is about right for someone in pretty damned good shape.

The best I ever did (working out 5 days a week onboard a Navy ship) was 245lbs for 2 reps, no assistance. I weighed 160 at the time.

Skinny little fucker. Now I'm a bloated hippo compared to my former self. If I were to bench twice my weight now, I'd be benching almost 460 lbs.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:46 AM

100% of your weight isn't that difficult as a rule, but it does depend on your body build. When I was at my weight lifting peak I was 6'8" and about 215lbs. At that point my all-time max was 235lbs. Not very impressive in terms of percentage of body weight, but for my skinny frame and long-ass arms I felt pretty good about it.

Swede
Old 09-09-2005, 10:47 AM

You may well be able to do 1x your body weight starting out. When I started lifting as a freshman in college I weighed 175 and my 1 rep max was exactly that.

I think that's a minimum standard of strength that police are held to in some academies, so it signifies reasonable strength but nothing out of the ordinary.

10 reps of your body weight or 1 rep of 1.5x your body weight are pretty reasonable 6-12 month training goals if you're serious about it.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:49 AM

for someone who's never benched? prop bet? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]