Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 04:52 AM

Default Re: \"Islam is a peaceful religion\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It is time to stop sacrificing the lives of our troops in Iraq. One U.S. soldier's life is worth way more to me than the life of an Iraqi civilian and it is definitely worth more than the life of a Muslim terrorist in Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the kind of thinking that causes much of this chaos in the world.

We're all the same - it doesn't matter if we're American, Iraqi, or whatever. This "we're better than them" reasoning is pathetic and absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said that we're better than the Iraqi civilians. I simply said that the life of the soldier is worth far more to me, especially when so many of the Iraqi civilians support the insurgents.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can pull scriptures out of context from the Bible to support the same idea that Christianity/Judism is a violent religion - do you actually think you are actually establishing a point or pattern by reprinting out of context verses from the Koran that a misanthrope spoon fed to you thru his biased viewpoint?

at least TRY to come up with something original

RB

[/ QUOTE ]
It's already been done.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is time to stop sacrificing the lives of our troops in Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said this long ago. Bring the troops home.

The rest of your post is crap.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never said that we're better than the Iraqi civilians. I simply said that the life of the soldier is worth far more to me, especially when so many of the Iraqi civilians support the insurgents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are being unfair, an Iraqi is worth no more or less than an American soldier. Also if the US invaded the UK, I would have to make it my lifes work to kill as many American soldiers as possible before they shot me, as you probably would if the Chinese 'liberated' the US from Bush.

I can never understand why one person is worth more than another based only on skin colour or nationality.

Regards Mack
Old 08-03-2005, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is time to stop sacrificing the lives of our troops in Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said this long ago. Bring the troops home.

The rest of your post is crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are being inconsistent. You seem to be a generally tolerant person. Why are you supporting these scumbags who give the death penalty to people engaging in homosexual conduct and give the death penalty to rape victims?

You have a sad devotion to that ancient religion.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:50 AM

This is just a crazy way of thinking. Of course a U.S. soilder's live is much more important than that of the insurgents or anyone who supports any kind of terrorism. This is why the left is screwed up, trying to provide any type of justification for these people.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is just a crazy way of thinking. Of course a U.S. soilder's live is much more important than that of the insurgents or anyone who supports any kind of terrorism. This is why the left is screwed up, trying to provide any type of justification for these people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this gets said a lot but when did the words 'left' and 'liberal' become insults. Sorry for 'trying to provide justification' what I said does remain true, though I admit the reasons are much different.

I think you are confusing the main message of my post though, when I said an Iraqi is worth the same as an American soldier, I wasn't really refering to insurgents, hopefully you can now stop refering to me as 'the left'.

Regards Mack
Old 08-03-2005, 11:46 AM

Default One point that people seem to be missing in this argument...

...is that Muslims as a whole are being unfairly judged in response to the violent actions of extremists who claim to share their religion. Westerners see these terrorist acts and connect them with Islam, condemning a whole religion based on the actions of a relatively small number of psychopaths who have adopted a bastardized view of their divine purpose. The end result is increased racism and cultural tensions, manifested for example by people who look to condemn Islam based on their rudimmentary knowledge of the Quran, or worse yet, from thirdhand quotes they picked up from someone else's rudimentary knowledge of the Quran. The other 99% percent of Muslims in the world, even those who dislike Christians or Westerners in general, hate these terrorists and other extremists just as much as Christians/Westerners do.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: One point that people seem to be missing in this argument...

[ QUOTE ]
The other 99% percent of Muslims in the world, even those who dislike Christians or Westerners in general, hate these terrorists and other extremists just as much as Christians/Westerners do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Figures have been posted here in the past originating from a reliable source that show this just is not true, many Muslims DO support the terrorists.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to be a generally tolerant person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this is consistent. I am tolerant of the failings of others and extremely intolerant of mine. Extending this to societies, I generally am tolerant (as in I may be critical off, but dont want to interfere needlessly in, other societies -- they will solve their problems -- we have our own). I am very intolerant of our own stupidity, mistakes, and incompetence -- the Iraq policy in particular is all of these and continues to be.

[ QUOTE ]
You have a sad devotion to that ancient religion

[/ QUOTE ]

I am devoted only to the pursuit of my hedonistic pleasures. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Actually I believe that all religions are interesting at a conceptual theological level, as they try to capture the essence of life -- much like philosophers, poets etc.

I also believe that in practice there is no worthwhile religion which is not completely intertwined in politics. I also believe that those who slavishly "belong" to a religion, probably need a good therapist instead.