Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: The river bet game

[ QUOTE ]
OK I'll take a swing:

Hand 1: B - value bet as I think he has KJ, K10, busted flush or busted straight. If he comes over the top then reevaluate.

Hand 2: B - again I think weak K or busted flush draw, if so he'll probably fold to an all in push. I want to give him a chance to bluff away his stack.

Hand 3: C - I think you are tied at worst. I don't think villian has a boat. I put in a value bet and call if he comes over the top.

Hand 4: B - Value bet again. Fold if he comes over the top.

Hand 5: B - best chance of squeezing out value

Hand 6: D - throw out the block, fold to aggression

How'd I score?

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty good job! 12 points total i think
Old 03-24-2005, 11:00 PM

12 pts i think, really good job!
Old 03-24-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My stab at this:

1. B, watch out for a big check-raise. This guy hit a good king, is laying a trap with a straight (why did he call the turn raise?), or he took a stab at the pot and was too dumb to let his hand go.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, in this situation if I value bet I have a very easy decision against a river check raise (which is, fold =) ) unless I've witnessed numerous river check raise bluffs. even then it's tough. (just to note, I have like 1 note on ONE player in my whole database who does this... alot... so this isn't something id worry about) 2 pts

[ QUOTE ]

2. C? Your stack size vs his stack size would mandate this, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, solid observation. alot of time something like noticing stack size in a particular hand can be the difference between an ok session and a good session. you're 5 for 5 so far

[ QUOTE ]

3. A He turn bet-called. Would worse hands call a good river bet with this board? This would be a tougher decision than some of the other hands and would be pretty dependant on the tendencies of this particular opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, would be player dependant. i think (knowing results) villain REALLY should've made a blocking bet, as I check behind with a few hands he beats which I would (maybe) call, but really im betting almost everything better then his hand. 5 still.
[ QUOTE ]

4. B Again the tendencies of your opponent make this interesting. He's straightforward according to your read. At first I was wondering if he was testing your pot sized bet on the flop with a raise, or perhaps he was on a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ] 8 total, good read
[ QUOTE ]

5. B This opponent's only put in 9 dollars into the pot so far, unless he has a strong hand like trips or a straight or an unlikely lesser flush he's probably not going to call a large bet. He's not shown much aggression yet either, maybe he'll call a decent value bet down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep! 11

[ QUOTE ]

6. D

This exercise is interesting, I look forward to seeing the results

[/ QUOTE ] oooh, you're tied with kow for the lead. i'll either have to give both you the prize (unless someone tops 13, of course) or have a tiebreaker

im going to watch a movie, i'll do the rest before i sleep. really nice aswers so far, everyone, btw. everyone did better then me =)
Old 03-24-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Re: initial results

[ QUOTE ]
he turned over 94o, for turned and then rivered 2 pair. I guess this guy was just the typical fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many $100 NL players call 3 BBs out of position with 94 offsuit?

I almost think misclick... are there players literally that bad at Stars 0.5/1??

-dB
Old 03-25-2005, 12:20 AM

in my idiocy, i replied without see'ing you posted results.
DOH, oh well, NH

Ok, my weak tight poker arse is going to give this a shot.

Hand #1 B
With him not betting the river I put him on a weaker King, Go for the value bet of about half the pot.

Hand #2 C
Put him all in. I don't like checking here because I think you'll get shown a busted flush draw most of the time.

Hand #3 B or C
I think this one is read dependant. He is a blind, so having 3-6, or (before the river) 2 pair involving a 5 are all easily in the realm with no raise preflop.

Hand #4 B
Bet about half the pot and fold to massive re-raise heat.
The re-raise on the flop has me worried about another 2. I don't know if he would be weak enough to limp with TT or QQ so i'm not worried about those hands. if he had 66 and caught on the river i'd expect HIM to put the value bet in.
In fact, if he had a boat I'd expect him to put a value bet in instead of checking. Most of the time I'd figure to take the pot uncontested or split with the Q and T not being outkicked.

Hand #5 B
I'm inclined to bet about half pot hoping for a big bet bluff from Villian. The way the hand played out, with checking on the flop it's conveivable that Villian can represent Diamonds here.

Hand #6 A
I'm took weak here to put the blocking bet up.

How awful are my results?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:41 AM

thanks for the fun/informative post bobo! really enjoyed it.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: initial results

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he turned over 94o, for turned and then rivered 2 pair. I guess this guy was just the typical fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many $100 NL players call 3 BBs out of position with 94 offsuit?

I almost think misclick... are there players literally that bad at Stars 0.5/1??

-dB

[/ QUOTE ]

i was really shocked to see that, but there are several similar to that. it's all about identifying the type. there are some people who routinely make 8 to 10 x bb raises pf... very easy to exploit
Old 03-25-2005, 02:15 AM

7 total points. did very well the last few hands
Old 03-25-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There must be some way to score it monetarily... ie... everyone starts with $100. The hands are played in progression. And your stack changes depending on how each hand played out. The person at the end with the most chips wins.

The only thing we can't know is the effect of bets when you didnt bet... ie... would a pot sized bet have cause opponent to fold where a 1/2 bet might have led to a call. I think, Bobby, you'll have to make some assumptions on how the hand would have played out based on his hand and your read on him.

I look forward to hearing how it all came out.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, thats a good idea. if anyone has any idea how to change the points, that would be cool.

for 4 of the 6 hands (I think) I feel no matter the situation there is a "best" play, in the other two, (i think main two are top pair when guy is very very short stack and other is AK making nuts on river when villain somehow had two pair) there is a good play for most hands and then the best hand for that situation...
Old 03-25-2005, 02:25 AM

i think 7 pts. i could be off.