Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Where were you?

I was asleep. My buddy was crashing on the couch. I sleep with the radio on and I woke up sometime around 11:30 and I knew something was wrong. I guess I "heard" the report over the radio while I was asleep. I immediately jumped out of bed and ran into the living room where my buddy had just been woken up by his parents (they are from New York). I turned on the TV and we watched for several hours as his parents frantically called relatives in New York to make sure no family members were there, which they weren't.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:42 PM

Don't know where you guys are from, but Im guessing not near NY? I find it really obvious who is from around the area and who isn't when the topic is discussed because people from farther away are much more detached and don't seem to understand it on the same level as those who were closer. Just an observation.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:43 PM

About 90 miles from NY. Knew tons of people from NY, I think you are maybe generalizing a bit.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
About 90 miles from NY. Knew tons of people from NY, I think you are maybe generalizing a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saying that you're 90 miles from NY is very different than saying that you're 90 miles from, say, Kansas City.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Saying that you're 90 miles from NY is very different than saying that you're 90 miles from, say, Kansas City.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, then 95%+ of the nation is not 'close' to NY. I consider myself close.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say it's a decent generalization, my friends all live in Long Island, which is even closer (you could smell ground zero from there for a few days after). None of them have any reference to what it was like. Again it go's back to that thread a few weeks back, about New York and New Yorkers, you truly have to be here to understand the dynamics of everything that happened that day.

i was at a lunch table in high school when there were rumors of how a building in nyc got knocked down by some sort of terrorist act. i didnt think much of it other than eww that sucks.

then at the next period or the period after we had a television in our classroom and were watching the reporting story about it on television. it took a while for me to realize the magnitude of the situation.

[ QUOTE ]

Don't know where you guys are from, but Im guessing not near NY? I find it really obvious who is from around the area and who isn't when the topic is discussed because people from farther away are much more detached and don't seem to understand it on the same level as those who were closer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's a gross generalization.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:51 PM

Had just moved into a new house 2 days before and no cable or radio set up. Got ready for work, went to 7-11 for coffee and the TV was on. Saw the first tower burning. Went home told the wife, we both went to work. She's in the tallest building in downtown SanDiego and there was still 1 plane unaccounted for so they sent her home.

poster that said non-NYers don't really get it is probably right. We'd spent some time in the city and my wife had spent a few days working in the towers when we were living in upstate NY... and I'm still "disconnected" from it.

ThisHo..

and yes... this is absolutely without a doubt our "where were you when JFK was shot" moment
Old 06-08-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this topic has been brought up. I haven't seen it. Repost from another group.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was asleep. Went to work listening to various radio stations, and watched streaming video/listened to the radio all day before going home.

[ QUOTE ]
I've never been to NY so, in a way, it was very surreal to me. Kind of like a typical east coasters' view on the San Francisco earthquake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Loma Prieta is definitely more vivid for me. Took off from work early, and was just settling in to watch the WS on TV. Next thing, I'm practically on the floor, and crap is falling off the shelves.