Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 07:37 AM

Default Re: What are you the best at?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was a professional tennis player from age 18 until 25....I was once ranked as high as number 47 in the world. I've won matches at Wimbledon, the US Open and Roland Garros and I have victories over former number Ones Mats Wilander, Stefan Edberg and Andre Agassi...although, to be honest, my victory over Agassi was when he was 13! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So....even though I haven't touched a racket in seven years, I'm pretty sure I could whup anyone's ass on 2+2 when it comes to tennis.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your name?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't give out my name on here...simply because of my tennis past and my moviemaking present (both legitimate and adult). I've had problems with weirdos before - not that I think you're one!

As for the tennis background - there's no way you would've heard of me unless you were an absolute tennis freak in the late 80's and/or also played back then.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was indeed a tennis freak back then. Nowadays the male tennis players are all anonymous boring machines but back then there were actually some interesting people on the mens circuit. If you were ranked in the Top 100, I'm pretty sure I've heard your name. But I understand your reluctance to reveal it. Fair 'nuf
Old 04-28-2005, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
C+E+F+G) Didn't I get dealt cards? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cards? This is no-limit Texas Bridge. You play your opponents, not your cards.

C)
K8652
QJT8
A3
Q6

E)
AK97
---
AKQT
A9643

F)
JT
AQ6432
JT53

G)
A3
AKQ62
---
AJ7653
Old 04-28-2005, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks a lot, Skip. I'll give it a shot:

A) 2NT. Vulnerability wrong for going after the throat. My only suit is diamonds. We don't play minors at MP

B) 3C. I'm not giving up here and I don't like my hearts for a double. I know partner will often expect five clubs, but hey the world isn't perfect

D) Double followed by 3D. And it's not even close

H) T of clubs. The hardest problem. At MP I think it's too risky to lead another suit. Yes I'll have to lead one eventually but at that time, I'll have a better idea of what to do. Funny problem because at IMP's there's an argument for all other three suits

and finally....

C+E+F+G) Didn't I get dealt cards? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't give you cards for those problems because I'm afraid that if you get them, you'll beat my score.

A) This problem was submitted by Barry Rigal. You get 90 points for 1NT. 6 panelists agreed with you. Top score goes to passing (10 votes). I voted for 2D, earning only 70 points (3 panelists agreed with me). Director Kit Woolsey agrees with you..."[2D] is reasonable, and at IMPs might well be the best action. But this is matchpoints. South has enough strength to expect to make at least eight tricks in notrump, maybe more; to keep up at 20 a trick, diamonds requires a lot more tricks than can be expected."

B) Your choice of 3C is the same as mine and reflects the plurality choice of the panel. 100 points. There were votes for 2NT, double, and 3NT.

D) You get another 100 points. I HATE this plan. The potential for partner leaving the double in is lower at IMPs than at matchpoints, but if he does, you are hosed. Woolsey: "Unless you and partner have a solemn agreement that you will never pass one, making a negative double on this hand is an accident waiting to happen. Imagine partner with xx KQJT AKxx xxx. If you don't think he'll pass, get serious. Even the diehards among the "takeout-doubles-are-for takeout" proponents will pass. Well, if diamonds are three-two, and the ace of spades is with the overcaller, and there aren't sufficent discards on clubs, you'll nip them a trick. Otherwise, score up that minus 470." Woolsey says mean things about my choice as well, which is an immediate 3D, earning 80 points. Woolsey prefers (the huge overbid) of 2S immediately, a plan chosen by nobody else.

H) 14 panelists chose to lead a diamond (11 picked the 3, two votes for the 4, 1 vote for the queen), with my choice of the diamond three getting 100 points. The club ten gets 70 points. It was chosen by three experts. Larry Cohen and Bobby Wolff (who would have led a diamond at IMPs) were club ten leaders. Woolsey has this to say about the club lead: "If the ten of clubs were low, then leading a club would be fairly safe as far as not blowing a club trick. But the ten-lead might give declarer a trick he couldn't or wouldn't have taken on his own. It is hard to judge, but a club lead might be just as dangerous as a diamond lead, and it definitely doesn't have as promising an upside."

After four problems, you have 360 points (trailing me by ten points). On the other four problems, I earned 370 points, for a total of 740, which means you can still beat me. Maybe I should have dug up the month where I scored 800 instead of just picking up the magazine closest to the computer. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 09:29 AM

C) 6D. I hate these sorts of problems. It's all a matter of agreements. Bridge is not a guessing contest. But I presume that partner could've shown shortness in hearts directly after 1S and since he cannot be missing cuebids in both minors, I take it as he has the goodies in hearts. My 6D is meant to be "Ok hearts, diamond-cuebid, no club-cuebid"

E) 3NT. OMG a toughie! 3NT is a ridicolous bid but what am I supposed to do? I cannot bring myself to pass (Mike Lawrence would) and X will almost certainly make partner bid 4H. Oh I should pass, but I can't. It's like folding AA - it's extremely hard

F) 3H+X. Easy. 3H is an overbid but there's really no other choice. X I suppose is take-out. Now we'll play the right suit, maybe a bit too high [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

G) PASS. I don't expect a bravery medal for this, but seriously? Unless RHO is a total LAG, he'll have a billion spades. At IMP I'm not going for a possible 200 with the risk of losing 730. 3NT is tempting but where's my source of tricks? 5D just seems too far away

And btw: According to the text beneath the four problems I already answered, you only scored 350. But you also wrote that I'm trailing by 10. Which is it? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hitting a deer on a motorcycle at 65 mph with no helmet on and living.

[/ QUOTE ]
if theyre going to let deer ride motorcycles, they should have to wear helmets.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:09 AM

I am training right now for collegiate cross country and track next year.
Mile time: 4:23.
800 time: 1:53
400 time: Who cares, I cant beat Jeremy Wariner and that’s all that matters.

Anything shorter is weak...

PS: longest run was 26 miles(Saturday practice for my Public high school cross country team).
Old 04-28-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: ice fishing!

[ QUOTE ]
I'd ice-fish for yellow perch against any 2+2er, $10 per perch. Perch would have to be 10 inches or larger to qualify. I'd even give my competition a ride out to the fishing spot on my ATV.

win or lose, I'd treat for the wings and cold beer afterwards.

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

I might have to take you up on that! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Although I've never been ice fishing before...so you'd probably win. Any other fishing and it would be close.

How about we make a deal, I'll go ice fishing if you go fly fishing for trout with me for $100 a fish...since I've seen the ice covered perch days and there is at least a 10:1 catch ratio! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

FISH ON!
Old 04-28-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
super mario bros. 1, and probably smb3 as well

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was good at SMB3 too until I saw this.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/smb3beat-r.html

[/ QUOTE ]
This video was made in an emulator going frame by frame and saving states. That said, it's still pretty ffing cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have any proof of that?? And do you realize how many frames that is? That would be a TON of work. Also I dnt see why someone couldnt be this good, its entirely possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well it could be possible someone was that good. The links at the end of the video used to go to the guy's site where he talks all about how it's done. Or, as linked to, check out some other time-attack videos.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: ice fishing!

Skiing...Specifically slopestyle and big air.

Catch-
Old 04-28-2005, 11:01 AM

Magic: the Gathering