Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Wrong!

[ QUOTE ]

So, thinking people don't believe in God because they don't want to abide by a certain rule or rules, is delusional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a particular set of rules but ANY rules by ANY authority, regardless of content. They are "hostile to God", a Person, not just a set of rules.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So, thinking people don't believe in God because they don't want to abide by a certain rule or rules, is delusional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a particular set of rules but ANY rules by ANY authority, regardless of content. They are "hostile to God", a Person, not just a set of rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

People can abide by any rules they want by subscribing to the religion (and belief in that particular deity) that fits their whims. Or, they can make up their own... which a lot (if not most) people do.

You can be a deist, even, believing that God is not personal -- he doesn't care what you do at all. Again, I repeat, if you think people don't believe in God because they don't want to abide by some rules, then you are delusional. I fear it's too late, as you don't seem to be undertanding this.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

People can abide by any rules they want by subscribing to the religion (and belief in that particular deity) that fits their whims. Or, they can make up their own... which a lot (if not most) people do.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this different from escaping authority? Making up a god you like is called idolatry and is an attempt to escape from the one true Authority.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:04 PM

Not to mention, not all people are defiant. I see no reason to declare rebelliousness a universal human trait. Look at Zen Buddhist monks, for example; very obediant to the doctrine, despite not believing in God. The traditional "teenage angst" view of rebellion that most of us understand has psychosocial roots.

Furthermore, some people get off on being obedient and submissive. Like my ex-girlfriend [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Look at Zen Buddhist monks,

[/ QUOTE ]

Pursuing a false course of humility is not obedience to God. The harshest words Jesus spoke was to the hypocritical Scribes and Pharisees whom He called white washed on the outside but dead men's bones on the inside. They kept the externals of the Mosaic Law almost to perfection but according to Jesus were not pleasing to God - they were rebellious because they sought to establish their own righteousness.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if the fossil record doesn't exist at all, if it isn't just a matter of not having found them yet, doesn't that make the one common ancestor theory unfalsifiable?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. "Fossil rabbits in the precambrian" would still falsify current evolutionary theory (as would about a zillion other things -- not just fossils, but morphology and DNA).
Old 12-01-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pursuing a false course of humility is not obedience to God. The harshest words Jesus spoke was to the hypocritical Scribes and Pharisees whom He called white washed on the outside but dead men's bones on the inside. They kept the externals of the Mosaic Law almost to perfection but according to Jesus were not pleasing to God - they were rebellious because they sought to establish their own righteousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said humans were rebellious by nature. I've given an example of people being obedient. You then established that because their obedience isn't directed toward God, it isn't genuine, doing so based on a premise that you know I don't accept. for the purposes of the argument. Stop making adding unfalsifiability to your statements.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this different from escaping authority? Making up a god you like is called idolatry and is an attempt to escape from the one true Authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose it's not. Some people believe God tells them to do some things that you don't believe God said. And vice versa. And, the point remains that people don't disbelieve in God due to not wanting to be under rules. Again, a deist believes in an impersonal God. The point of this, which is become tedious, is to get you to realize that your argument for why people disbelieve is delusional. That's just not the case.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You said humans were rebellious by nature. I've given an example of people being obedient. You then established that because their obedience isn't directed toward God, it isn't genuine, doing so based on a premise that you know I don't accept. for the purposes of the argument. Stop making adding unfalsifiability to your statements.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, his argument for why people disbelieve in God, is now: people disbelieve in the True God because they don't want to be under the True Authority. This is basically meaningless, as any religion can say that about every other religion (just about).
Old 12-02-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

We use these terms because they are useful, but we must recognise them for what they are; human labels.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if the gradualism of Darwinism is true there would have been many identifiable intermediaries. I'm sure the differences between those fossils we have and h omo sapiens would require quite a few steps that would show up in fossils. If not, then I don't see how Darwinism makes a better case than ID from the evidence - both would explain the fossil record, but both would be highly speculative.

[/ QUOTE ]

NotReady, ID makes NO case, zero evidence, zilcho.

Evolution has been confirmed nearly on a weekly basis for the last 150 years with corrobating evidence. There is a plethora of evidence and none falsifies the theory.