Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Who is the most overated athlete of all time?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Michael Jordan is overrated. Well, he was when he was playing, but I suppose the hype has calmed down since then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I submit that it's impossible for the best ever at *anything* to be overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael Jordan is not the best ever at anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does MJ rank on your list of basketball players.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Who is the most overated athlete of all time?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone ever asserted that he had the skills of a point guard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many people have, including Shaq himself. Always claiming that he could do so much more than we saw on the court, if only Jackson would give him permission.

[/ QUOTE ]

Show me where it says Shaq thinks he should bring up the ball and drain the 3?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone pretty much agrees that he's pretty great at what he does, which is use his height and size to the best of his ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not disputing that he uses his height and size to the best of his ability. I'm saying that his doing so is a foul and/or traveling violation, according to the rulebook, the vast majority of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to think that anyone 7'2" and 300+ lbs can dominate the NBA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how I "seem" to do that. The fact is, if the rules had been called the same for him as they are for Shaq, Mark Eaton could have been an offensive juggernaut.

[/ QUOTE ]

You serious about this? Mark Eaton is your argument? MJ got calls, Kareem got calls, Kobe Bryant gets calls, Bird got calls, Magic got calls, Isiah got calls. You're saying Dan Dickau could dominate the league if he got the calls Allen Iverson gets?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(BTW, his passing out of the double-team in the post isn't bad at all).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he has more career turnovers per game (almost 3) than any other starting center I can think of. And, while I think his skills - barring his "size skill" - are pretty bad, this isn't even about whether he is bad or good. This is about whether he is overrated, which he is by a damn site.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you're probably right about the turnovers. But I was just asserting that you said he was overrated because he wasn't an excellent passer, dribbler and shooter and I just declared that was nonsense.

I guess overrated is just subjective. If you think Shaq has been declared the god of basketball then yes that's overrated. But I see that most of the media seems to claim that he's a great center that uses his size and height advantage to the best of his abilities mixed in with some athletics and good footwork. And to that I agree.