Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 12:21 PM

Default Re: 40-80 Hand

Interesting hand, Clark. A preflop cap and a flop check!

I definitely would've bet the river, and hope for an AK muck so I wouldn't have to show what I raised and called a cap with. (Though maybe I *do* want them to see.)

Or are you hoping he bets so you can get out with respectability intact?

serling
Old 06-23-2004, 12:39 PM

Even you bet, you are very likely to get called by TT because it's only one bet and the pot is big enough. AK would not likely to call you. I think checking is a good play.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I open raise from EMP with 8c9c. Tight player 3-bets in MP, another tight but aggressive player caps on the button. Blinds fold, I call, MP calls. 3 to the flop for 6.75BBs.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess folding for those extra 2 wouldn't do wonders for your image, huh? even though you're outta relative position and absolute position, and you got 2 tight aggressives there where ONE of them likely HAS a hand.

and also, you said it was a bad game and that "i am stuck here"....did you mean im STUCK here (down a rack or 1/2 a rack) or just stuck inthat game? (what they see of you...)

flop i think you've dug a nice little hole in which you must now reside. check i agree and can't see myself betting and having them (THEM) fold for a bet.

turn you pair your nine and can beat AK (the ONLY legit 4bet hand of the button's you can beat). you bet he calls. why did he call? why no raise? does he set people up or does he have TT and want to see what you have. has he SEEN you're changeups? you're not pushing him off anything now with a flop check turn bet so his call is curious.

river now you know there is 100% 0 value in a bet. do you call his bet or do you c-r? if he bets behind the only thing he can be representing that you can beat is AK, AT (so unlikely its laughable) etc. scratch that, there IS NO etc. its just AK...so will he fold to your c-r? i don't think so...hes seeing a showdown...so you check and he bets and you fold or you check and he checks and you table your change up...UNLESSSSS you can get him to fold the only hand that beats you that he MIGHT fold: TT...thats really about it...but he could be slowplaying and you're done...so he can't call with AK, will he raise the river with it as a bluff? nah, probly not. so unless you want to give him the chance to fold TT here (which is consistent with his play) you gotta check.

hope i got this remotely close.

-Barron
Old 06-23-2004, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
from EP, i am of the opinion that vulnerable hands can be entered if you have correct relative position, can manuever the action into providing correct, or will have correct relative in the later rounds

[/ QUOTE ]

elysium,

thats exactly not the action plan that was going through my head but the exact thought process. i felt that he couldn't take back position with a cap so he should call or fold. i neglected that the cap was probably best in terms of if he's going to play, he might as well retain relative position despite the fact he's out of absolute position. i didn't take it to that place, but i should have and was allllmost there.

im a fan of that line...it costs 1 sb and drastically changes the hand.

-Barron
Old 06-23-2004, 12:54 PM

one more relatively unimportant question:

if he checks behind you do you a) proudly table the 98s and defiantly state, "pair of 9s, 8 kicker"?; b) keep cards face down and declare, "one pair" and see what his reaction is and muck if he tables a winner; c) flip over the nine and see his reaction then roll the 8, or vise versa?

-Barron
Old 06-23-2004, 01:13 PM

This looks like an auto river bet to me for all the auto reasons. I'm more interested in how you suddenly became so good looking.

Tommy
Old 06-23-2004, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't a tight but aggressive player have folded TT before the flop. Wouldn't he bet the flop if he was aggressive enough to cap with it before the flop? However, if he knew you might be raising with some quirky stuff, he might call with AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd think that a player aggressive enough to cap with AK would also cap with TT. I'd also think that a player willing to check AK on this flop would also check TT.

I don't think this player had seen me raise with anything quirky to this point.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What were you planning to do if he bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call.

I thought his most likely hands were AA, TT or AK, but I didn't rule out something totally goofy. It is Commerce after all. My impression of his play was a quick one based on about 20 minutes of play.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a great question. It's had me thinking about this hand a lot more than I otherwise would have.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

I try not to post boring ones. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2004, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
more often than not, the chumming manuvers he makes with his chips causes the entire field to break circle and motion chaotically, inducing their up and down rolling instict to frenzy, biting and ripping, red froth blinding. the aggressive is missing an arm but laughs as someone loses a leg.

[/ QUOTE ]