Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2004, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Is Phil Gordon really any good?

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion Phil conducted himself better than most people you see on the show. (Except Suzie, she definitely was having fun) Any time someone was knocked out he stood up, shook their hand, told them they played great throughout the tournament and congratulated them. Its a lot more than I've seen a lot of players do.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought Phil was pretty gracious also. It reminded me a lot of his comments on CPS, especially the comment to the Suzie Homemaker girl about how she played well the whole tourney. He's the professional, she's just an amateur, but he thinks she played well. I don't see anything wrong or arrogant about that.

I was a bit shocked at how much he let the Iranian dude bother him though. It really showed when he won with the big K3 bluff and how he threw the cards down. I think he was just irritated at the guy's stupid plays and reraises with crap hands.

I was wondering the whole show...how does Phil Gordon not get "Bounty" status, yet James Woods does? I'd say Phil is one of the top pros out there, he certainly deserved to get a t-shirt.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:52 AM

Anybody catch the tell Gordon gave off last night when he got 99 the second(?) time? He looks as if he's still thinking about the previous 99 hand, sees he has 99, and noticeably smirks.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:00 AM

weak.

i think you're looking for that sort of thing because you know he holds 99 both times. first of all, who knows that those hands even took place back to back?

and ok let's say they did. i'd like to see the guy who looks at him and says.. "whoa, he looks like he's thinking of the previous hand... he must hold 99!"

he could easily have picked up another playable hand, but still be thinking about the previous hand, just because it was an interesting hand.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:10 AM

Wasn't there also a hand where Moneymaker had 99 and he shot Phil Gordon a smile after raising all-in. One of the Canadians called with 55, and before the cards turned up, Phil goes "9's baby!" Do we think Phil said this because of the look Moneymaker gave him (that could be fancy editing by the producers too) or just because he figured someone had to have 99?
Old 06-13-2004, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was wondering the whole show...how does Phil Gordon not get "Bounty" status, yet James Woods does? I'd say Phil is one of the top pros out there, he certainly deserved to get a t-shirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong cause I very well may be...but I think they invite some "stars" to that tournament and give them free entry. So presumably they decide in advance on some players they would like to have come and make the invites and "bounty" status for those players, instead of seeing who shows up and then deciding which players get bounty's on their heads. How James Woods gets an invite I don't know...maybe he's friends with the tourney director or something.

Phil Gordon isn't as impressive as some of the other top players, but I reckon making two final tables (even if the first was something of a bogus tourney) shows you've got some skills. And I do think a lot of players would have gotten themselves in more trouble trying to boss the table with the large stack but not catching any hands against people who were...I thought he did very well to come out of that stretch without crippling himself.

--Zetack
Old 06-13-2004, 01:08 PM

I didn't say the tell revealed he held 99 again. I just said he noticeably smirks when he sees 99 again so soon. (You are correct, we don't know if this hand was exactly next) Watch it again on Tivo, and I think you can see it quite clearly. I'm not saying someone at the table could have seen it and known he held 99, but they definitely could've taken it as a clue to his holding.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:23 PM

For 6 months, Bay101 said they were capping the tourney to 200 players (20 tables, 20 "stars" w/ bounties). But, demand was so high, that Matt Savage (the tourney director) decided to expand it by two extra tables and then had to add two more stars (Woods and it was supposed to be Ben Affleck, but I think it ended up being Jon Faverough (however you spell it, Mikey from swingers).
Old 06-13-2004, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For 6 months, Bay101 said they were capping the tourney to 200 players (20 tables, 20 "stars" w/ bounties). But, demand was so high, that Matt Savage (the tourney director) decided to expand it by two extra tables and then had to add two more stars (Woods and it was supposed to be Ben Affleck, but I think it ended up being Jon Faverough (however you spell it, Mikey from swingers).

[/ QUOTE ]
Jon Favreau? Give me a freaking break! Just because you're a C list celeb and happen to play poker, doesn't mean that you're a poker "star". I would have loved to sit at his table and win his bounty. $5000 to these megamillionaires is peanuts... they'd play in every single tournament around the country if they had the time. Phil Gordon certainly deserved to be a star over that fat pretender.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't there also a hand where Moneymaker had 99 and he shot Phil Gordon a smile after raising all-in. One of the Canadians called with 55, and before the cards turned up, Phil goes "9's baby!" Do we think Phil said this because of the look Moneymaker gave him (that could be fancy editing by the producers too) or just because he figured someone had to have 99?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that is the one that go me. Phil looked right at moneymaker and said "Nines" right before Chris flipped them over. Moneymaker sure did look scared when Phil glared at him when he flipped over that A-Qss. I thought he was going to say he was sorry.

I was really happy with that tourney though. I thought Phil, Chris and the Iranian played well, those other two punks I did not like (calling all-in with 66?) Suzy was fun to watch - I like the homemaker vs moneymaker joke.

Phil is a total class act. I have seen him play on UB a bunch, and he is always chatting with people, even heads-up. He is lucky, but also has an incredible sense of timing and odds.

In retrospect, I agree with his A-7 call, he cannot just fold and my Chris into a monster. He wouldnt have been in too much worse shape by calling and losing.

Phil is a credit to the game.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:42 PM

When I was watching live I thought the A7 was a terrible call, but calculating it on twodimes it looks like Phil would be about a 4 to 1 dog. I don't remember what the pot sizes were, but he was probably getting something like. He appears to know the odds pretty well. That's one thing he seems to be good at.

I also have no idea why he'd be in such a hurry to call with 99. He's at best a coin flip and more than likely dominated.

The AJ call was by that other guy was by far the worst play. That was really clueless.

I didn't notice any mistakes by MM. It shows how important luck is in these things. Do suppose he'd exchange winning the WSOP for this WPT event?