Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2004, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Live losing streaks

i've been playing about a year, finally having consistant winning weeks. but it doesn't take a poker pro to ask why in the hell would you want to play soo many tables. is this ego? maybe see a shrink..... it can't be good money management, sure not enough time to read other players, time your bets to show power, put in a bluff here or there with proper timing.....dude....it just sucks.....sounds like sickness rather than poker.....at eighteen....where ya getting 13k...if you were my son...i'd nip this quick...where ya think your gonna be in 2 yrs
Old 06-07-2004, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
doesn't take a poker pro to ask why in the hell would you want to play soo many tables. is this ego?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm missing the relationship between ego and playing more tables!?

[ QUOTE ]
it can't be good money management

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very good for momey management since it increases the winning $/hour.

[ QUOTE ]
sure not enough time to read other players

[/ QUOTE ]

PT.

[ QUOTE ]
time your bets to show power

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That must be worth about $5 extra per hour, you think the overlay from extra table doesn't cover that?

[ QUOTE ]
put in a bluff here or there with proper timing

[/ QUOTE ]

That's still possible.

[ QUOTE ]
at eighteen....where ya getting 13k

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker winnings.

[ QUOTE ]
if you were my son...i'd nip this quick

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like ego.

[ QUOTE ]
where ya think your gonna be in 2 yrs

[/ QUOTE ]

University. Next year i'm taking a gap year to earn money and invest it, i'm doing that in NZ. Then it's back to schooling.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the support. The guitar has had more use over this streak than ever. I got the electric lady jimi hendrix song book so i've been struggling my way through that.

I've also recieved a lot of private messages in support. Thanks to everyone who sent them and replied here. It's nice to have the encouragement and suggestions to fix this. I'm having 2 more days off then i'll hit the 15/30 again. I'll bump this thread in 2 months to compare how it's gone.

Thank you all again.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 AM

Very astute observations; sorry you had to get the experience to make them.

Mike Caro did some computer modeling a while back that showed that a professional player could expect to experience a losing YEAR of poker over a 20 year, 40 hr./wk. career. Call him up for a hug [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It sounds like you have some aversion to dropping down to 10-20 for a short time. Assuming you are playing your best poker, and your recent results notwithstanding it sounds like that's probably the case, make sure this isn't a pride issue. Dropping in limits isn't because you can't handle 15-30, it's because you dramatically reduce your ROR and can simultaneously reduce your variance. Both good things for a guy who's playing well but running bad.

JMO.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:43 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

guys, please lay off the subject of 6-8 tabling 15/30. however well specific individuals may or may not be able to pull it off, i can assure you that it is entirely possible - without a rake rebate. i can also personally assure you that he is not multi-tabling for ego purposes.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:46 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

you just mean -1.6bb/100 for THOSE 15K HANDS, right?
Old 06-07-2004, 11:56 AM

while I am almost sure jay has no problem multitabling 6-8 tables, I do think for a lot of folks it's a completely valid criticism. lots of things are possible, that doesn't mean anyone and everyone can do them well.

while there are lots of people that can multitable well (yourself, for example), I am sure there are plenty that can't, and plenty that find it not very much fun at all (myself, for example).

--turnipmonster
Old 06-07-2004, 12:18 PM

i agree, i was just addressing the more generic observations about the "impossibility" of it.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:21 PM

Default like me

1800G,

since you seem to know what you are talking about (hence doing), i will just give you a hug... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] man to man, no gay feeling please... hehe.

yes, losing 400BB sucks. I am in a losing streak myself and i can totally relate to your pain. While i didn't play much in May and kind of had a bad month (winning not much), my June performance (or counter-performance) has been terrible so far. 2 monster losses in only 6 days! -$2700 (2.5hrs) was a nice way to open up the month's poker log; but ending the first week with a crazy -$4800 loss is just not tasteful for my beefed up ego.

now that i am a losing player (for the month), i'd like to think i am simply getting out played (ya right, by my fishes, over-playing bad pair or bad draw, semi-bluffing-LOL-with cheeze all at the wrong time and still get lucky on the river) and out drawn (5 AA, and 4 KK tanked in one night losing mostly on river, grrr) a lot.

but sure, there was my own contribution in all of this, but 10%? maybe 20% tops? so I could have had a -4000 instead of a -4800 loss. I will tell you, 1800G, sometimes bad luck causes some bad play, you will probably still play well above the level of your fishes, but you quality of game surely is likely to suffer when you running cold like liquid nitrogen.

anyhow, let me go move my car before i get a ticket, that would make my wallet another $100 lighter.

all the best,

Kenny
Old 06-07-2004, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have the stats you are playing but you may want to tighten the standards, and become a bit more aggressive with the bigger starting hands. (Just a general statement, as it helped me get back on the rebound)

[/ QUOTE ]

good advice (simple, genuine, but very good). i will give it a try too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

thanks.