Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2004, 02:02 PM

Default Re: OT: Best pizza places in Vegas?

you've definitely been to the wrong places. Arturo's on Thompson and Bleecker is a great one. John's on Bleecker west of 7th somewhere is another. I'm sure there are many more but these two stand out in my mind.

My gf swears New Haven, CT pizza is the best in the world but I think she's delusional.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:04 PM

when i was in chicago(shaumburg..sp?) i saw an adkins pizza that the crust was made of sausage! that sounds healthy [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2004, 02:38 PM

The pizza joint in the NYNY food village/court is excellent. NY style. And buying it by the pie it was cheaper than I often pay when in NYC.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:51 PM

I'm dumb, arturo's is on thompson and houston.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:01 PM

And there's Lombardi's in SoHo, Lil Frankie's in the East Village, Grimaldi's in Brooklyn and plenty of others.

Just avoid anything with Ray or Famous in the name.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And there's Lombardi's in SoHo, Lil Frankie's in the East Village, Grimaldi's in Brooklyn and plenty of others.

Just avoid anything with Ray or Famous in the name.

[/ QUOTE ]

so i shouldn't have gone to original famous ray's? i also went to some place called pizza hut.

ok in honesty i didn't know where to go, and i'm not a huge fan of pizza. my point was he probably didn't go to the right places in chicago. it's been so long since i've lived there, i don't where they are anymore either.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when i was in chicago(shaumburg..sp?) i saw an adkins pizza that the crust was made of sausage! that sounds healthy [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yah, there's nothing healthy about chicago eats. the old saturday night life bears superfans skits pretty much hit it on the head
Old 05-20-2004, 07:45 PM

Since there are no facts here but opinions. In my view a great pizza has a thin crust with a slight crunch and a thick edge with a slight chew. Easy on the sauce and a decent amount of quality cheese. I'm a purist - sometimes adding pepperoni or clams- when in season (the New Haven shops have awesome clam pizza. No goat cheese, wacko veggies or "New Age" topppings need apply.

In my opinion, due to water quality and use of coal fired or other extremely hot ovens - these pizza qualities primarily occur in the Northeast. There is also a chain in LA called NY Pizza which changes the LA water to match the characteristics of NYC water to replicate NY Style Pizza.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:30 AM

Wolfgang Puck's in Mandalay had pretty good pie last time I was there. I'm not even sure if thats still open though. As far as all the carry out/delivery joints go, I never had one even decent the entire time I was there. I could hit 100 random places in the Detroit area and never get one as bad as any of them, hard to believe.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:51 AM

Great post, although I think most NY places have too much cheese and not enough sauce. Also, your water theory could nicely explain why NY coffee blows ass compared to the West Coast and is the prevailing opinion as to the superiority of bagels here.