Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2004, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Waiting to look at your hole cards until the action is to you

[ QUOTE ]
I see no downside.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess nobody read my post.

-----------
When you think about it, waiting to look until the action on you is a great way to maximize the number of people who will spot your tell if you do happen to give one off.
-----------

Or am I wrong??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2004, 02:52 PM

Well by looking at your cards immediately you're may give people information about whether you'll play the hand or not.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:20 PM

Interestingly, I look at my cards immediately when I play stud. I use the extra time to compare my hand to the upcards and stuff.

I do not look at my hole cards until I see all the upcards. That way if I have a small pair and I see a dead card I can make a good decision.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:37 PM

I read it and completely agree with you. I like to take a peek, memorize my cards, and never look back. I don't really like having the entire table focus on me.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well by looking at your cards immediately you're may give people information about whether you'll play the hand or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

By looking immediately you may give whoever happens to be looking at you at the time information on whether or not you'll play the hand. By waiting until everybody and his mother is looking at you, you may give everybody information on what hand you have. I think the latter is far more dangerous.

If you give off your "I'm going to play this hand" tell, you still give no indication of how good your hand is. The danger is giving away information on how strong your hand is, which people are more likely to notice when they are all looking at you.

When I play live, I look at the person whose turn it is to act - so do most people.

I would think that one would rather look at his cards when the fewest # of people are looking at him, not the most.

I'm dealt my cards, I peek, memorize them and off I go.

Plus, it slows down the game substantially. If you're playing 30 hands/hr and everybody decides to take 3 seconds every hand to look at his cards when the action is on him, you add 30 seconds to every hand. 60 minutes for 30 hands = 2 minutes per hand. Increase that to 2.5 minutes per hand and you're looking at 24 hands per hour now. As if live play weren't slow enough.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you give off your "I'm going to play this hand" tell, you still give no indication of how good your hand is. The danger is giving away information on how strong your hand is, which people are more likely to notice when they are all looking at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider though, that a tell that indicates your hand is junk is extremely valuable to someone on your right who's deciding whether he can steal the pot.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider though, that a tell that indicates your hand is junk is extremely valuable to someone on your right who's deciding whether he can steal the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, depending on your read on the player, an "i'm going to play" tell may be very telling. If the player is a rock, you may want to fold that low pp or AQ/AJ. Any more info is important in a game like hold'em which is a low info game as opposed to, for example, stud.

Also, i hink the extra time is well worth it as long as you take a reasonably short amount of it.

Jake
Old 05-06-2004, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a tell that indicates your hand is junk is extremely valuable to someone on your right who's deciding whether he can steal the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you care if you were going to fold anyway?

And, if you hand is junk, but not quite junky enough to fold, would you rather find that out before everybody had their eyes on you, or after everyone was looking so that the players remaining to act could know your hand sucks and possibly raise you?
Old 05-07-2004, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you care if you were going to fold anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, for one thing, if he sees you don't like your hand and decides to steal, now *you* lose the opportunity to steal with your junk hand (say for example he's the CO and you're the Button). Also, if he sees you really like your hand, now he won't try to steal, and you lose the opportunity to reraise him and make more money with your good hand.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:03 AM

"That way if I have a small pair and I see a dead card I can make a good decision."

don't you mean the only decision.