Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2004, 07:22 PM

Default Re: On the contrary, Homer

On the contrary, OUTLAW did come back and argue. five hours after his original post, he posted a second time specifically saying he didn't think his play was bad at all.

You're right, I missed that post somehow.

Only after that second post, which basically rejected all the posters' advice to that point did Dynasty weigh in. OUTLAW needed a figurative "slap in the face" to wake him up and Dynasty provided.

Even after his second response, there were 6-7 people who told him flat out that he played the hand horribly before Dynasty chimed in. I still think his response was over the top, though it doesn't seem quite as bad now that I realize the original poster came back to argue.

-- Homer
Old 04-30-2004, 08:18 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Do poker players need a \"thick\" skin in order to beat the game?

yeah, but he posted the same hand again in the probability forum, Homer. I guess everyone learns differently. I learn best when people tell me things straight without sugarcoating them, while some people take offense to rudeness, so I'm biased.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:24 PM

yeah, but he posted the same hand again in the probability forum, Homer

I think he cross-posted them at around the same time.

I learn best when people tell me things straight without sugarcoating them, while some people take offense to rudeness, so I'm biased.

Everyone seems to be associating being straightforward with being rude, and I'm not sure why. It is possible to be straightforward without being rude, and vice versa. I like it when people are straightforward.

-- Homer
Old 04-30-2004, 08:32 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I think he cross-posted them at around the same time.

yeah you're right, I didn't realize that

Everyone seems to be associating being straightforward with being rude, and I'm not sure why. It is possible to be straightforward without being rude, and vice versa. I like it when people are straightforward.

I'm not going to debate with you because you're going to make me feel stupid [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Everytime I read a thread where you debate something, I start by thinking "what the hell is Homer thinking?" then by the end I think to myself "[censored], he's right"

example being the thread about tipping
Old 04-30-2004, 07:07 AM

You asked: "Do poker players need a thick skin in order to survive and learn from the pitfalls associated with the game? "

My answer is quite simple: Yes.

Most people don't learn because they are too defensive. Protecting their egos is more important to them than improving their game. Instead of admitting their mistakes and learning from them, they defend themselves. That's why you read so many bad beat stories and whines about "you can't beat players who don't respect your raises," and similar nonsense.

To "survive and learn from the pitfalls associated with the game" you need to depersonalize the game, its intrinsically exploitative nature, and the huge short term role of luck. You can't perform those tasks well if you are thin skinned. As Dynasty put it, "nothing personal. It's just poker."

Ours is not a gentle game, nor are we gentle people, especially not here. These forums are for people who want to learn, and who accept that learning is often a painful process. When someone as sharp as Dynasty takes the time to point out a mistake, there is only one intelligent answer: "Thank you."

For example, if you look at Cris Brown's "Intuition" thread, you'll see that I thanked her and others for pointing out a serious mistake. Did I like making that admission? Of course not. But I'm grateful to the people who pointed out my mistake, and I want them to continue to do so.

If you want warm fuzzies, play "Old Maid."

Regards,

Al

Old 04-30-2004, 09:35 AM

When someone as sharp as Dynasty takes the time to point out a mistake, there is only one intelligent answer: "Thank you."

With all due respect, I disagree. Please take a look at the thread in question, and if you still feel that the poster should have responded with a "thank you", let me know.

-- Homer
Old 04-30-2004, 10:07 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
When someone as sharp as Dynasty takes the time to point out a mistake, there is only one intelligent answer: "Thank you."

[/ QUOTE ]

So if someone less sharp as dynasty takes the time to point out mistake, there are multiple intelligent answers? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What if the poster doesnt know that dynasty is sharp?

I dont think dynasty's response really broke any new ground in the thread that wasnt already stated by all the other responders who basically said the same exact thing. Homer pointed out, 20 responders were saying the same thing. That usually gets the point across. As i mentioned before, he put the exclamation point on it.

Whether it was overboard is up to the original poster of the thread. Some players learn by getting the sh*t kicked out of them. Some prefer to save their harshness for their play at the tables. Different strokes...

b
Old 04-30-2004, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some players learn by getting the sh*t kicked out of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
To be fair, no matter who you are, getting the sh*t kick out of you is going to teach you something.

"Wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer, and then you'll notice you've got their strict attention." - Seven
Old 04-30-2004, 07:11 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Sometimes the sledgehammer knocks them out or kills them though. tough to get anything through to 'em at that point.

Reminds me of a joke.

What do you have when you have 2 little green balls in your hands?

Kermit's UNDIVIDED attention.

b

ps. This joke makes no sense if you dont know who Kermit is.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:23 AM

However none of them really got the point across the way Dynasty did.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 20 responses saying he played the hand wrong was not enough. He needed one of Dynasty's classic bashing posts to fully understand.

Why does everyone assume that newbies are completely braindead? If you can get on the internet, you can figure out that your play was horrendous if 20 people say so.

I don't see why so many of you hold his bashing posts in such high regard. You don't have to use 20 synonyms for "horrible" to make people understand that their play was poor.

I don't believe you talk to your employees like this, MG. I am sure you display more tact, even when you are scolding them. I would not respect anyone who spoke to me like this, and I'm sure your employees respect you.

-- Homer