Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2004, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Euro 2004

I'll take the under.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:53 PM

I read that it will only be available on PPV. That sucks because they will charge astronomically high prices. For some England friendlies they charged $20 per match. Can't wait to see how much this will be.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read that it will only be available on PPV.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of my biggest issues with soccer in the US. This is argueably (sp?) the 2nd most important soccer tournament in the world (ok, maybe the UEFA Cup is bigger) and we have to PAY-PER-VIEW???? Then we wonder why soccer doesn't take off in this country. These are going to be, for the most part, the best players in the world; and we can't see the games unless we shell out $180! It is a disgrace. The USSF should wake up, take some of the money MLS paid Freddie Adu, and put the games where people can see them.

Thankfully, my father belongs to one of the many Italian clubs here in CT (as do I indirectly), and those folks will spare no expense at getting those games. Furthermore, because we are members, I don't have to pay at all to see the games. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Just another case of the man keeping us down! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Joe
Old 04-14-2004, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is argueably (sp?) the 2nd most important soccer tournament in the world (ok, maybe the UEFA Cup is bigger)

[/ QUOTE ]

i think your nomenclature is a little bit confused still - not trying to be nitpicky here, but I presume you meant the Champions League (used to be called the European Cup). It's huge. The UEFA cup is like the second tier tourney, where the league runner ups go and the early exits from the champions league end up.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:19 PM

I assume as well that he meant the Champions' League.

Old 04-15-2004, 04:11 AM

Cool thing about SF is that it's a pretty big soccer city (well, California in general) full of all kinds of foreigners. So, not only can you find the games at multiple places, you can actually go someplace with fans for the side you support (or don't, if you prefer).
Old 04-15-2004, 05:10 AM

Freddie Adu, who's that?

His name sounds familiar but I'm not sure if I remember it from the ESPN sportscenter segment, the CNN headline news 5 minute focus, the dateline NBC show about him, the leading sports story (coming on as a sub) on every local news, his appearance on Dave, an article about him on soccernet, every interview this season of anybody from the MLS no matter their team, position, or even if they know him, constant commentary about him in every match shown in the US whether it involves his team or even his league, or numerous places I don't precisely remember.

I think the big story of the year for American soccer is the success of many of our players in foreign leagues. Unfortunately this gets no mention in the wake of a teenager that is apparently Pele, Diego Maradona, Tiger Woods, and Lebron James all wrapped up in one.

Guess I got a little off track there. I do agree that the USSF or somebody should put some money up so that we can see major competitions like Euro2004 or the Champions league. Paying a trillion dollars for the former and seeing one match per match day in the latter just doesn't cut it. It is getting better with FSW and GolTV which because I prefer Spanish matches is in my opinion the best channel on television. If only we could convince to show teams that aren't Real Madrid and Barca...

Was that a rant or what?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think your nomenclature is a little bit confused still - not trying to be nitpicky here, but I presume you meant the Champions League (used to be called the European Cup).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, you're right. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] And as I was typing it I thought to myself "this doesn't look right for some reason".

My bad.

Joe
Old 04-15-2004, 09:59 PM

Man oh man did you nail it!

I'll do you one better.

About 15 years ago, an Italian entrepeneur brought Italian television (RAI) to CT. It was GREAT! Every Sunday, there was Serie A on my tv. Well worth skipping church for! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Then, about 4 years ago, he sold the rights to the station to Univision and retired to Florida. Univision turned it into another Spanish station. The only problem with Univision is that it is Central American (Mexican I believe) and they only show Mexican programming, including their crappy brand of soccer. Basically, this guy sold out! To make matters worse, I have digital cable and for me to get RAI now, it costs an additional $11/month in addition to the $90+ I already pay for digital! I refuse to have a $100 cable bill. RAI is only available to people who have digital as well, so most basic subscribers don't even have the option.

We could both go on all day. I just want to see some GOOD soccer without having to sacrifice my daughters future college tuition to pay for it!

Joe
Old 04-16-2004, 04:00 PM

My outsider underdog pick is Sweden, but only if Henrick Larsson plays

Henrik Larsson is god. Really going to miss him when he leaves Celtic at the end of the season. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

As far as England are concerned, I'm sure it is going to be same old same old in the tournament. We always have the credentials to do well, but contrive to stuff it up.

It's great fun being on the England bandwagon though, we are hardened to failure over here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Simon